• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Men coming in while a woman is cleaning the men's rm. Is this harrassment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwingnut25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I am a woman working for a cleaning company, and I clean at a warehouse. I've been there for about 6 months, and right from the start men would come in while I was cleaning the mens room. My supervisor knows, other people in both companies know, supposedly meetings have been held about it, but it still happens. In fact I walked off my job last night because it happened, and I'm fed up. Once I was in a stall cleaning and walked past a man at a urinal, and had no idea he was even in there.
There is no way men can not tell that the men's room is closed. There is a sign a crossed the door frame, a grey utility trash can in the door way, and a mop and bucket in the door way. In fact the gentleman last night went under the sign push the trash can, and me, to get into the bathroom. After 6 months of complaining and finally giving my notice, my company has offered to move me to another facility. Is this a case of harassment? There have been other "pranks" the men have done. I'm not sure they are worth getting into here. More concerned about this.

OHRoadwarrior

It happens all the time in other countries. If you do not want it to happen put out a sign saying "Closed for cleaning". Rest areas do it all the time.

justalayman

As much as I hate to say it, it might reach the level of sexual harassment. Personally, if it was me I would realize that they need to use the bathroom and are doing so. Unless they display themselves or make some off color statement, I would consider it just that.

so, are there locks on the doors? If so, find out how to get a key and lock yourself in when working.

LdiJ

It happens all the time in other countries. If you do not want it to happen put out a sign saying "Closed for cleaning". Rest areas do it all the time.

There is a sign a crossed the door frame, a grey utility trash can in the door way, and a mop and bucket in the door way

While I realize her spelling wasn't prefect, I think that pretty much states that there is a sign that gets put up.

redwingnut25

I guess I didn't make it clear enough

The sign that I have a crossed the door frame does read closed for cleaning. The door does not have a lock, I checked after the first time it happened.

redwingnut25

While I realize her spelling wasn't prefect, I think that pretty much states that there is a sign that gets put up.
I didn't realize this was a spelling forum, I thought it was for advice. I'm very upset about this, my husband wants me to quit but we really need the money. When I've complained in the past, other things would happen. Like feces smeared on the wall, sardine oil smeared on the mirror, and a box full of cans meant to tip over on my head when I opened the door. It's really a "fun" place to work!

LdiJ

I didn't realize this was a spelling forum, I thought it was for advice. I'm very upset about this, my husband wants me to quit but we really need the money. When I've complained in the past, other things would happen. Like feces smeared on the wall, sardine oil smeared on the mirror, and a box full of cans meant to tip over on my head when I opened the door. It's really a "fun" place to work!
The bit about the spelling was a little sarcasm aimed at the poster who clearly did not throughly read your post. Didn't you say that your employer offered to move you to another facility? That should resolve the problem for you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

Let she who is without spelling errors herself cast the first stone....

OHRoadwarrior

The bit about the spelling was a little sarcasm aimed at the poster who clearly did not throughly read your post. Didn't you say that your employer offered to move you to another facility? That should resolve the problem for you.
She did not indicate the sign said "closed for cleaning". It could have said "wet floor" for all we know.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I am a woman working for a cleaning company, and I clean at a warehouse. I've been there for about 6 months, and right from the start men would come in while I was cleaning the mens room. My supervisor knows, other people in both companies know, supposedly meetings have been held about it, but it still happens. In fact I walked off my job last night because it happened, and I'm fed up. Once I was in a stall cleaning and walked past a man at a urinal, and had no idea he was even in there.
There is no way men can not tell that the men's room is closed. There is a sign a crossed the door frame, a grey utility trash can in the door way, and a mop and bucket in the door way. In fact the gentleman last night went under the sign push the trash can, and me, to get into the bathroom. After 6 months of complaining and finally giving my notice, my company has offered to move me to another facility. Is this a case of harassment? There have been other "pranks" the men have done. I'm not sure they are worth getting into here. More concerned about this.
If he pushed past you, how did you not know he was there?

But really. You're an adult. He has to pee. That's not harassment.

But really. You're an adult. He has to pee. That's not harassment.
Sure about that? The restroom was closed for cleaning. Apparently company management has advised employees to stay out of the restroom while she is cleaning it. Are you such an uncouth person that you would stand at a urinal and urinate while a janitorial employee (male or female) was attempting to clean the restroom? REALLY?

HE's an ADULT and HE can hold it until the restroom is clean. They've offered OP the opportunity to clean another facility. OP - I suggest you take them up on it.

OHRoadwarrior

Sure about that? The restroom was closed for cleaning. Apparently company management has advised employees to stay out of the restroom while she is cleaning it. Are you such an uncouth person that you would stand at a urinal and urinate while a janitorial employee (male or female) was attempting to clean the restroom? REALLY?

HE's an ADULT and HE can hold it until the restroom is clean. They've offered OP the opportunity to clean another facility. OP - I suggest you take them up on it.
I agree the sign specifically outlining the restroom is closed creates an obligation on the male requiring its use, to negotiate with the cleaner for permission. I don't know that it rises to the level of sexual harassment. I have used mens rooms in Mexico, while they were being cleaned by woman. There was no sign regarding any special status for the room or the cleaner. The cleaner did not object or feel a need to run out screaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">