• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mental Anguish

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lynda Gibbons

What is the name of your state? New Jersey
I have worked for my current employer approximately 10 years. I have been asked to do things that weren't exactly "right" but thought I had to do these things in order to keep my position. About 2 years ago I was off-handedly accused of stealing and was so appalled I quit and found other employment 750 miles away. Although I wasn't 100% happy with the area, I was content with my new position. Nine months into the new job I was called by my former employer who told me he needed me to help him with a serious IRS/FBI/STATE ATTORNEY problem. I made two 3 day trips to help with which he only paid my transportation - no time. After this he asked that I please come back to work for him at the same pay I left, that he would pay my moving expenses and provide a place for me to live. I hastily returned; not one promise he made was carried out completely and the promise of the same pay never transpired. He had paid 1/2 of my rent previously and reneged on that part of the deal cutting me $450.00. He has moved me between two hotels for the past year and not given me the responsibilities that I had when I left. Everything I start (projects) are delegated to less experienced and mostly foreign employees. Today, he made a deal with the Restuarant/Lounge owner at one of our properties for me to be a Sales Mgr. for them as well as the hotel and that they would pay 40% of my salary and he would pay the other 60%. I questioned as to what would happen if I couldn't produce the volume of work that the REstaurant/Lounge wanted me to do and was told that I would be eliminated. I told my boss that I had to protect myself and he said he had to protect "HIMSELF".

I feel like a piece of chicken being thrown away or a slave being sold to the highest bidder. I need to know if this is legal and what actions can I take to protect my pay from being cut in almost half. Also, I thought I would give him the following options: (1) Fire me so I can get my own job - I don't need anyone to do this for me or (2) Let the Restaurant/Lounge owner pay him and he can pay me. (The Restaurant/Lounge has only been open 6 months and has two sets of new owners in the time they have been opened. Very poor business men and not stable at all). I'm too old to be working all kinds of nights and weekends like I did 10 years ago and this man is treating me like he can sell me to anyone.

Please advise my options. Thanks.

Beth3

You were asked to do things that were unethical, falsely accused of stealing, asked to return several years later to help the owner with some sort of tax/criminal problem and he never even paid for your time, and STILL you accepted an offer to return to work for him??? Okay, that's water over the bridge now but you get my drift.

You *might* have a case for detrimental reliance regarding the promises made when he rehired you that never came to pass however it appears you worked under the "revised terms" for a considerable length of time, so I expect it's too late to pursue that but you would have to check with an attorney to be certain.

An employer can change the terms of employment, which is what the business owner is now doing. The whole situation is unappealing but I don't see anything illegal in what he's proposing. Rather than give the owner options, why don't you exercise your option to seek new employment and quit working for this guy who obviously can't be trusted and is a lousy business person. You can't afford to have your financial security tied up with such a person.

L

Lynda Gibbons

I know you are right about what a fool I was. I guess I thought this was the only way to get back near "home".

I am truly searching for other employment but cannot just "quit". I am not financially secure enough to lose any pay so I continue to seek other employment but must also continue in the same position until something happens.

Thanks for your advice - I learned a new phrase also. I will pursue other avenues at this time. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">