• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boss suspended me because my co-workers told him I said I have bed bugs. I don't.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amyannlease

I am from Missouri, I work at a place that cares for children that have been abused and has mental problems. They have been having problems with bed bugs. I thought I had brought them home because I was getting bites on my feet. I found out I don't. it was because my dogs were sneaking into my bed and sleeping there while I was gone. Before I knew that I asked some of my co workers for advise, I even told them it wasn't bed bugs but fleas. They told my boss I have bed bugs. He suspended me. So far I have lost sixteen hours if I don't work this weekend it will be 40 hours. Do I have a right to ask for those missing hours? What should I do? Yes I had a pest controll company confirm that I don't have bed bugs, I have left messages to my boss to contact them for the findings. What rights do I have regarding every thing I've said.

Just Blue

I am from Missouri, I work at a place that cares for children that have been abused and has mental problems. They have been having problems with bed bugs. I thought I had brought them home because I was getting bites on my feet. I found out I don't. it was because my dogs were sneaking into my bed and sleeping there while I was gone. Before I knew that I asked some of my co workers for advise, I even told them it wasn't bed bugs but fleas. They told my boss I have bed bugs. He suspended me. So far I have lost sixteen hours if I don't work this weekend it will be 40 hours. Do I have a right to ask for those missing hours? What should I do? Yes I had a pest controll company confirm that I don't have bed bugs, I have left messages to my boss to contact them for the findings. What rights do I have regarding every thing I've said.
www.frontline.com

Fleas and ticks can harm your pets. They deserve to be pest free.

eerelations

Unfortunately there's really nothing you can do. Employers are legally free to suspend their employees for pretty much any reason, except for things like their employees' race, gender, disability, age and/or religion. Employers are also not required to pay their employees while said employees are suspended. Your only recourse here would be to file for UI benefits.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Do you have a right to ASK to be paid for that time? Yes, you have a right to ask.

Do you have a right under the law to be paid for that time? No, you do not.

If your employer chooses to pay you for the time, there's no law preventing it. But there's likewise no law that requires it, either.

commentator

File for a week of unemployment insurance right away for the week you have been suspended without pay. You do have a pretty good chance of drawing benefits for any week you are off work without pay through no fault of your own, even if you are not officially fired or no longer working for a company.

Give as the reason why you did not work that you were suspended without pay. I still don't hear where you have been called back to work yet. Even if you have, and you begin again right away, go on and file for unemployment for that one week. It may only get you a waiting week in, but even so, you have the right to file for any week you are off work without pay, and the situation you describe was NOT misconduct, and if you are not called back to work immediately, you definitely need to get a claim started.

xylene

Ask your exterminator for a copy of the findings in writing and send a copy of that to work.

Don't rely on your boss calling your exterminator.

Your case is EXACTLY why bugs, especially bed bugs must NEVER be discussed at work or among coworkers. Keep it private, always.

Proserpina

Ask your exterminator for a copy of the findings in writing and send a copy of that to work.

Don't rely on your boss calling your exterminator.

Your case is EXACTLY why bugs, especially bed bugs must NEVER be discussed at work or among coworkers. Keep it private, always.

Which of course can't compel the employer to actually do anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">