• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Boss told me he could yell at me whenever he wants.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jlawgfx

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Yesterday my boss called me into his office and then proceded to yell and scream at me like I was a piece of garbage. He actually told me at one point that if he wanted to raise his voice to me he could because he is my boss. Whenever I tried to defend myself he threatened to fire me.

Is this legal?

Everyone in the call center heard him yelling at me. They are located across the hall and we had the door shut! That is how loud he was yelling at me. He was hinting that I was lying about being sick the other day and yelling at me because I don't show initiative because I didn't do something he told me not to. When I said that he told me not to do it he said that if I showed any initiative I would have did it anyway.

Any advice would be great, thanks.

You Are Guilty

jlawgfx said:

Yesterday my boss called me into his office and then proceded to yell and scream at me like I was a piece of garbage. He actually told me at one point that if he wanted to raise his voice to me he could because he is my boss. Whenever I tried to defend myself he threatened to fire me.

Is this legal?
Legal? You betcha. Professional? Not particularly.

Everyone in the call center heard him yelling at me. They are located across the hall and we had the door shut! That is how loud he was yelling at me. He was hinting that I was lying about being sick the other day and yelling at me because I don't show initiative because I didn't do something he told me not to. When I said that he told me not to do it he said that if I showed any initiative I would have did it anyway.
Uhm, how about finding a new job with a boss who isn't an animal?

Beth3

Your boss is a jerk but that's not against the law. Your recourse is to find employment elsewhere where the boss isn't a maniac.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Agreed. Your boss is truly a piece of work but yelling at someone isn't against the law. He's right; he can yell at you whenever he wants, and he can fire you if you object.

Your option is to either put up with it or vote with your feet by finding other employment.

skittles3444

Yelling at an employee isn't against the law howerver no one should be treated that way. Your boss is a jerk. I used to have a boss that would constantly yell at me and make me feel worthless. He would make comments such as, "god, your so stupid, any dumb monkey can do your job." and this went on for about a month until I couldn't take it anymore. Is there a boss higher above him that you could talk to? Thats what I did and the weirdest thing is that me and him are best buds at work.

I hope this helps in some way.

skittles

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

A 13 year old came to these forums the other day complaining that a girl who liked him would "kick him in the nuts" as a sign of affection.

Maybe the girl has a good idea.

IAAL

rjjamison

Try this

If you belong to a bigger organization, usually they have policies against workplace harassment. Human resources should be able to provide a copy. In most cases, the use of abusive language or gestures is against company policy. Verbal abuse is still abuse. I am not a lawyer but have witnessed similar situations. I'm sure this gives you something to go on rather than taking "no" from these fake lawyers.

You Are Guilty

rjjamison said:
If you belong to a bigger organization, usually they have policies against workplace harassment. Human resources should be able to provide a copy. In most cases, the use of abusive language or gestures is against company policy. Verbal abuse is still abuse. I am not a lawyer but have witnessed similar situations. I'm sure this gives you something to go on rather than taking "no" from these fake lawyers.
Were you always this stupid or did you have to practice to get so good?

Jeff-Hulk-Hemp

I as far as I know the boss cant yell at you for for calling in sick !If he even trys If you are in a union I would call my Rep right away !Since no one was a wintess next time you call in sick bring someone eather from or work with you !In my oppion you have a legal case .

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
First of all, you're entirely wrong that an employer can't yell at you for calling in sick. Secondly, just exactly where are you reading that he was yelling at her because she called in sick?

I'd be very interested in seeing a link to any site either rjjamison or Jeff-Hulk-Hemp would care to post, which shows a law saying a boss can't yell at you for any reason that's been posted on this thread.

Taking adverse action against someone, maybe. Yelling at you; sorry, that's legal.

rjjamison

Ummm excuse me.

I never said it was illegal (feel free to review my post). I merely gave ADVICE on how to find certain answers. I've worked several jobs and everyone of them had policies against workplace harassment which included abusive language. No not illegal, yet possibly against company policy. Instead of telling them to find another job (which is a last resort in most cases), walk this person through possible scenarios that are more reasonable. Only Skittles & Jeff (junior members) gave reasonable advice. Give this person some advice and quit judging everyone elses.

Last edited:

pattytx

Excuse me back. :mad: This forum is for legal advice. The poster got legal advice from some very experienced HR professionals and attorneys. If you someone wants to add career advice, feel free, but don't knock the responders that advised the legality of the situation.

Hence, the name of the site.

You Are Guilty

rjjamison said:
I never said it was illegal (feel free to review my post). I merely gave ADVICE on how to find certain answers. I've worked several jobs and everyone of them had policies against workplace harassment which included abusive language. No not illegal, yet possibly against company policy. Instead of telling them to find another job (which is a last resort in most cases), walk this person through possible scenarios that are more reasonable. Only Skittles & Jeff (junior members) gave reasonable advice. Give this person some advice and quit judging everyone elses.
Ah, so you had to practice. That answers my question.

jlawgfx said:

Is this legal?

While your boss being an overbearing mindless retard is legal, you defending yourself is not. Hit the want-ads.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">