• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my company harassing me, what should I do about it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dpk87

I worked for a non profit organization serving individuals with developmental and intellectual disabilities. I worked all of these centers for years and I've seen things I wish I hadn't. They are not an organization dedicated to serving the disabled community like they advertise. I've seen countless times of clients being verbally abused, physically restrained and neglected. The organization consists of four centers and at the former center I witnessed several clients being verbally abused by now Formerly Assistant Program Director. These clients have developmental behaviors which they sometimes scream or have self inflicted behaviors such as hitting their neck. Several times when the clients was screaming I saw Assistant Program Director APD walked up to the clients face and screamed 'Shut it' This act was not done in private but in full view of the other instructors and staff at the center yet nothing was said or done to stop the act from continuing. I've witnessed this occurred several times over the coming months hoping someone would say something to stop her. Even the Program Director PD witness the event and said nothing. Finally I couldn't continue bear to witness to this type of abuse being enacted. I brought up the situation during a staff meeting to prevent this act from continuing any further. The Program Director finally ackknowledge my claim through a discussion over email. She said she heard the APD telling a client to 'Shut it' several times and would talk to the APD to finally stop her from verbally abusing the client. Ever since that incident she started ignoring me along with the staff members at the organization. Everytime I would lead a class, I was left alone to interact with the students and the other instructors would stand on the other side of the room watching the APD paint one client's fingernails. They wouldn't help me teach the class of at least fifteenth students. I walked into work everyday feeling ignored and harassed. One day the Program Administrator came to the center and called me into the office. She stated that the program APD told her that I gave her flowers and that she turned me down which made me depressed at work. This is false because I gave her those flowers as an apology. During staff lunch we were having a discussion about some political topics. The APD made a comment about President Barack Obama being the worst president. I asked her why does she thinks so. She said, 'I don't know, he's just *******.' I then told her that her remarks have no factual bases and makes her sound ignorant. Then she stormed off. The next day, I bought her flower and wrote her letter of apology. That was it, I never asked her out. The Program Administrator suggested that I transfer to another program and made a statement that she was sure that other employee weren't harassing me. Knowing that the Program Administrator was not going to help me out, I finally I decided to transfer to another program. The Program Administrator stated that I will be transferred when they hire a replacement. Before transferring to the other program, I confronted the APD with the other staff about their false statements. The APD stated that is wasn't personal and that we could talk it later. The before the end of the work day the Program Administrator called me into her office and stated that I was being transferred immediately to a different program. I wasn't allowed to say goodbye to any of my students. I was so angry at the company for treating me this way and wanted to quit but I am the sole provider of my family and can't afford to quit. I tried looking for another job but was unable to find one. Now I work as a Floater instructor at the sister center. I've gotten along well with the staff there until one day the former Assistant Program Director there started using her administrator power to bully me. In October, of 2015 I noticed that the APD started giving me snaring looks and being overly demanding. For example, during of our end of the semester showcase at the center one of the students had a severe outburst. So severe he was placed on a mat to calm down his aggression. Program Director PD I were present trying to prevent the clients SIBs from getting too severe. He was hitting PD a lot so I had to restraint him to prevent him from hitting her. She rubbed his belly to calm him down. After the client calmed down, I asked the PD if she was okay with the client by herself, she said yes. So I went to wash my hand and then walked over to another client, my 1 on 1. That's when APD came up to me and said I needed to stay with my client at all times. I thought it weird that she would say that because I'd been there for awhile and know my job description. Finally I said, 'OK' and remained with her the entire day. Later in the day, the same client had another severe SIB and other staff who was a 1 on 1, went over to calm him down on the mat. This staff was a 1 on 1 to another client who is prone to SIBs and he left him to attend to the client who was having an outburst. Another instructor went to assist him and closed the curtains. That's when I noticed the entire main floor filled with students was left unattended. I looked over at the office and I see Kim uploading video onto the Ipad. It's required that at least two staff should be monitioring that entire floor yet I was the only one on the floor. I found it odd that Kim would allow the other staff to leave their clients who is prone to severe seizures alone yet my clients who doesn't have a near serve condition that she required constant supervision. She just walks around a lot and I walk along with her. Finally, I asked to talk with her in private and asked if something was wrong. She said nothing was wrong. As the days went on, she kept giving me uncomfortabe stares yet was very friendly with the other staff. I talked with the PD about it and she said she would talk to the APD. Finally, one day she completely ignored me when I asked her about clients notes. Each teacher is assigned several cients to counsel and required to take daily notes on the activities they participated in the classes. The APD was cleaning the floor mat and not monitoring any students. I went up to her and asked her about what my students did in her class that day. She said she was too busy and can't answer my questions. She said I should ask the other instructors and but when I went to them they said that they didn't know. I went back to the APD and told her that the other staff didn't know. She looked really annoyed by my request and rolled her eyes at me. She finally told me what my students did in her classes and walked away. I found her behavior very odd and the next day I asked if something was wrong. She stated no. I asked her why didn't she want to give me the information I needed to do my work. She stated that she was too busy but that didn't make any sense because she wasn't watching any of the students and doing clerical work. She was just wiping down mats with a paper towel. Then she stated that if I have a complaint that I should take it to the PD. Finally, I decided enough was enough and reported her to the Program Administrator. Unfortunately, the Program Administrator did not write her up but instead allowed her to continue harassing me by giving the clients notes to the PD instead of me. The PD would then give the clients notes back to me. The APD continued to ignore me and closed off any physically communication with me. A week later she quit. I really believe that I am being harassed by my company. Because the APD had quit suddenly, they needed someone to take her place. The PD recommended me for that position however it was given to another staff who was less qualified and less experienced than me. I worked as a Floater instructor which is basically like a substitute teacher for over 3 1/2 years yet they gave it to the other instructor who's only been there for only a year. I didn't make any complaints because it meant that there was an open art instructor position now so I thought they would at least give me the promotion I have been waiting for. But they didn't. Instead, they hired another floater instructor which didn't make any sense because I'm floater instructor for that center. Later on, they gave that floater instructor who's only been there for two months, a permanent instructor position. I'm still a floater instructor. I've never been written up or been given a bad evaluation. If fact, every single program director I worked for has always gave me positives praises about my work and recommended me for a promotion. So I don't under why the company would treat me this way. This is why I believe my company is harassing me and withholding the promotion I deserve. What should I do?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Please edit your post to include white spacing and paragraphs. And cut out the extraneous information. Because no one wants to wade through a gigantic block of text with non-relevant information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">