• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my company is a total scam and violates SO many laws. (americall-telemarketing)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sue stillwell

Illinois
my company just told me i would be terminated, with possible re-hire, if i take more than a week off of work to have my baby. (ill only have been there 7mos. at delivery). they violate telemarketing laws by telling us to ignore laws in different states, they constantly are firing people at whim to make sure they aren't there a year and dont get a raise, with reasons like *you dispositioned one call incorrectly*, and they write us up with possible termination for doing things like forgetting to punch in or out.
today took the cake. in order to make base pay + $1.50 all week we have to work over 38 hours with four hours on a saturday. well i had 38 hours and i went to work my saturday, and after i had been there THREE out of FOUR hours, they sent me home for NO reason saying "they ran out of leads", so i get screwed out of $1.50 an hour for 38 hours. GRRRRRRR. that is SO WRONG.

can anything be done about the way this place is run? they also consider even employees that constantly work 38 or more hours part-time, so they can't get unemployment.

sue

Beth3

1. Since you haven't worked there for 12 months, you are not eligible for FMLA leave which would entitle you to up to 12 weeks of leave for the birth of a child. The issue then becomes one of whether they are treating you as a pregnant female the SAME AS they would any other employee who had worked there a similar length of time who had a temporary disabilty. So, for example, if they have extended more leave time to someone who needed surgery and are refusing to allow you a similar amount of leave time, that would be a violation of the Pregnancy Discrimination Act. If however they are treating you as shabbily as they would a non-pregnant employee needing medical leave, that is lawful.

2. if they come up with a lawful reason, even if it's a pretext, to fire employees before they are there 12 months and would become eligible for a pay increase under their policy, that is not illegal.

3. If they want to send you home shy of the hours necessary to earn premium pay under their policy, they can do that.

4. Unless Illinois has some very unsusual UC reg's, working part-time does not bar someone from being eligible for UC. The pertinent issues almost certainly are the total number of weeks the person has worked in the past 12 months, gross wages (in order to meet minimum threshholds for eligibility), and why they are now claiming benefits. It is extremely doubtful that full time or part time status has anything to do with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">