• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my employer allowed to do this?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

britt2525

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

My employer has a contract with our union which says they provide the same healthcare plan available to salaried employees. New employees will be eligible for this the first day after their probation period. Well my dad has worked for the same company for years and is a salary employee so he already has an insurance plan. Since im under 26 they told me i have to stay on his insurance policy since they are providing the insurance. I would like to be on my own . Is this not discrimination? I am not allowed my own plan because my dad works there? and since im under 26 I can be on his....

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is not illegal discrimination, no. Unless your union contract expressly says otherwise, yes, they can do this.

britt2525

This is not illegal discrimination, no. Unless your union contract expressly says otherwise, yes, they can do this.
There's no way for me to get on my own plan? I feel discriminated. I'm the only one in the entire company that doesnt have the choice to have my own plan... and everyone else that has it gets a nice little bonus on their check each month from the leftover money. I dont!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is a matter of contract, not law. If your contract says that employees who are also dependents of employees must take the dependent coverage, then that's what happens. It is not illegal discrimination no matter how "discriminated" you feel.

britt2525

This is a matter of contract, not law. If your contract says that employees who are also dependents of employees must take the dependent coverage, then that's what happens. It is not illegal discrimination no matter how "discriminated" you feel.
Is it illegal? my contract states that I get my own plan, but they are saying the affordable health care act makes it legal for them to do.

CourtClerk

Is it illegal? my contract states that I get my own plan, but they are saying the affordable health care act makes it legal for them to do.
And they are correct. Look, I know you want to feel like a big boy/girl, but this one you're not going to win. When you turn 26, you'll get your own plan.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
NO. IT IS NOT ILLEGAL. Fight it out with your union. The law doesn't give a hoot whether you have your own plan or are covered through your dad's as long as you have coverage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">