• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my old boss is stopping me from getting work with new company

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

russ659

Hi,

My name is Scott, and I live in Aberdeen, Scotland. I was working for a company here as a door steward, and just as I was away to leave, my manager sacked me without notice or reason.

I'm now with a new security company, and today we were contracted to work an event by my old company. I showed up, on time, ready to work. Just as we were away to leave to the event, one of the managers from the previous company pulled me aside, and explained that I was not allowed to work.!?

Reasons being, as I was dismissed by them a few months ago.

My old manager showed up in his car, grinned at me and drove off. I'm sure he was behind it, and now I feel as if I have not been given an equal chance for employment/to work. I haven't done nothing wrong, my company have no issues.

Is there anything I can do?

swalsh411

US Law only.

Having said that, I am almost certain it is entirely legal for your old boss to decide he doesn't want somebody working for them and you have no recourse here. They are after all paying for the services of your employer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
US law and UK law are not the same, and in some respects Scottish law is not the same as the rest of UK law. We have one poster here who has some slight familiarity with UK law; whether Scottish law is the same in this case I don't know. When she stops by she can say.

In the US nothing illegal occurred. It may or may not be the same in Scotland.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">