• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My old job has banned me from the building but I wasn't fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlesicka3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

I worked for a Retirement Home for about 2 years and recently quit in early July. I was on pretty good terms with my boss but not the best. I did not put my two weeks in but I did put in a resignation letter. Before I quit, the Director of HR (who is not my immediate supervisor) blew an incident completely out of proportion and contacted my immediate supervisor (the head of the Health and Wellness Department) to write me up. This would have been my third write up and I would have been fired. I, as well as everyone I spoke with, thought this was completely unfair and I refused to sign the write up and opted to put in a resignation letter instead.
So, about a month and a half later, I got a job with a Home Health Care agency and I had some clients at my old job. While I was working one day, the Director of HR came up to me and said "You don't work here anymore. You can't come here and just socialize with the workers." I told her I was with my client and that I worked for a new Health Care Agency. The next day I got a call from my supervisor saying I'm not allowed to have clients at my old job as they don't want me there.
Not only has this caused me embarrassment with my new job and made me look like a difficult employee which I am not, but it has also taken away my full time hours and made scheduling a mess for me and my new job as many of my hours were to be at where I used to work.
This seems to me to be ridiculous as I don't work there anymore, I'm just taking care of my clients and I did not get fired so I should be allowed back in the building.
I want to know your thoughts because I want to contact Corporate about this matter.

Thank you for your time.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

I worked for a Retirement Home for about 2 years and recently quit in early July. I was on pretty good terms with my boss but not the best. I did not put my two weeks in but I did put in a resignation letter. Before I quit, the Director of HR (who is not my immediate supervisor) blew an incident completely out of proportion and contacted my immediate supervisor (the head of the Health and Wellness Department) to write me up. This would have been my third write up and I would have been fired. I, as well as everyone I spoke with, thought this was completely unfair and I refused to sign the write up and opted to put in a resignation letter instead.
So, about a month and a half later, I got a job with a Home Health Care agency and I had some clients at my old job. While I was working one day, the Director of HR came up to me and said "You don't work here anymore. You can't come here and just socialize with the workers." I told her I was with my client and that I worked for a new Health Care Agency. The next day I got a call from my supervisor saying I'm not allowed to have clients at my old job as they don't want me there.
Not only has this caused me embarrassment with my new job and made me look like a difficult employee which I am not, but it has also taken away my full time hours and made scheduling a mess for me and my new job as many of my hours were to be at where I used to work.
This seems to me to be ridiculous as I don't work there anymore, I'm just taking care of my clients and I did not get fired so I should be allowed back in the building.
I want to know your thoughts because I want to contact Corporate about this matter.

Thank you for your time.

I'm not sure of your legal question.

Nothing illegal has happened here.

mlesicka3

I'm not sure of your legal question.

Nothing illegal has happened here.
Well, I'm asking is it legal of them to ban me from their building? Seeing as I don't work there anymore, I don't see how they can keep me from my clients. Especially since I resigned, and wasn't fired.

Proserpina

Well, I'm asking is it legal of them to ban me from their building? Seeing as I don't work there anymore, I don't see how they can keep me from my clients. Especially since I resigned, and wasn't fired.

Sure they can. You have no "rights" to be on private property.

swalsh411

When you went back for your new job did you chat up all your old coworkers?

It certainly wouldn't hurt to contact management at your former employer, or even your current employer could contact them on your behalf and explain you are there for your job not to socialize.

If you do get permission to go back, be strictly business. Do not socialize with anybody.

But if they don't want you back they can ban you from the property.

Proserpina

It certainly wouldn't hurt to contact management at your former employer, or even your current employer could contact them on your behalf and explain you are there for your job not to socialize.

If you do get permission to go back, be strictly business. Do not socialize with anybody.

Given OP's "iffy" relationship with his/her ex employer, I'm not sure contacting the former employer would be the smart thing to do; it could actually jeopardize their current employment if they're seen to be a squeaky, annoying wheel.

mlesicka3

Well, I didn't chat up my coworkers. But, my client needed to be taken to the cafeteria and what not and all the residents would come up to me and ask how I was. I tried to keep those conversations as short as possible.

OHRoadwarrior

Apparently, when you worked for them, they did not like how you interacted with their clients. Now that you work for another company, they still don't want you working with their clients.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
is it legal of them to ban me from their building?

Yes. It is legal of them to ban you from their building. No law says you have to be fired before they can block you from coming onto what is, after all, private property.

I hope that this is now clear to you.

mlesicka3

Apparently, when you worked for them, they did not like how you interacted with their clients. Now that you work for another company, they still don't want you working with their clients.
I was a wonderful caregiver and great with clients and everyone there knows that. This one particular manager did not like me for other reasons. But, thank you all for your answers. I appreciate it.

Ozark_Sophist

is it legal of them to ban me from their building?

Yes. It is legal of them to ban you from their building. No law says you have to be fired before they can block you from coming onto what is, after all, private property.

I hope that this is now clear to you.
I disagree. OP is employed by a resident. Management of building is interfering with the resident's right to hire/employ OP.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I disagree with your disagreement. The OP is employed by an agency, not directly by a resident.

You Are Guilty

I disagree. OP is employed by a resident. Management of building is interfering with the resident's right to hire/employ OP.
Regardless of who does the hiring, exactly where can I find this "right to hire/employ" of which you speak? I checked the Bill of Rights and didn't see any mention.

Ozark_Sophist

Regardless of who does the hiring, exactly where can I find this "right to hire/employ" of which you speak? I checked the Bill of Rights and didn't see any mention.
every single day, I supply individuals with a patient bill of rights mandated by state and federal. The constitution also gives everyone the right to associate with whom they choose. Simply being a resident in a long term care facility, unless of course it is prison, does not remove these rights. In the past, I have worked with the US DOJ OCR to develop ways for residents to assert these rights. Others on the committee I participated with actually employed testers to insure this right was not being violated.
Sarcasm makes you look like an idiot when you have to idea what you are taking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">