• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My supervisor told co workers private information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chattie

I am under FMLA, and my supervisor told other co workers why I was on FMLA. This was confidential, yet now it seems it isn't any longer at work. This has me very upset and embarrassed.

Is there anything I can do about this legally?

I live and work in Iowa.

Thank you very much.

[email protected]

Last edited:

mlane58

Chattie said:
I am under FMLA, and my supervisor told other co workers why I was on FMLA. This was confidential, yet now it seems it isn't any longer at work. This has me very upset and embarrassed.

There is nothing illegal about telling anyone you are out on an FMLA leave. Your supervisor didn't violate any rights you might believe you have here.

Beth3

You very likely have good reason to go to human resources or your boss's boss and complain about his big mouth. Most employers voluntarily treat personal/medical information about employees as a confidential matter - but your boss hasn't violated any laws.

Chattie

mlane58 said:
There is nothing illegal about telling anyone you are out on an FMLA leave. Your supervisor didn't violate any rights you might believe you have here.
I know there isn't anything wrong with telling anyone that I am on FMLA, but when she disclosed that I was seeing a psychologist, and that is why I am on FMLA, is this a violation?

Chattie

Thank you, Beth

I know there isn't anything wrong with telling anyone that I am on FMLA, but when she disclosed that I was seeing a psychologist, and that is why I am on FMLA, is this a violation?

mlane58

Well it sure would have been nice of you to disclose that up front, but it still doesn't change anything.

Sorry, but the feature of reading minds is just in the concept stage of being added to our crystal balls.

Beth3

No, it's not.

Only medical information your employer may obtain through their group health plan is protected. Anything you tell your employer about your medical status, including providing them doctor's notes, completing FMLA paperwork, STD paperwork, etc. falls in the category of employee records and is not protected.

SubstanceP

Chattie said:

I live and work in Iowa.

Thank you very much.

[email protected]
If one makes the mistake of divulging the acutal reason that you are taking FMLA or any medical troubles you may be experiencing, whether applying for leave or not, can that information be used in order to get rid of you?

I understand that we do not need to give the actual reason (the why part) we are going on FMLA, but how does one handle questions, when they ask why? One can simply say that it's private, but in the real world, we all know that most people do not respect that and will seek to torment you. Unless, I happen to be working at an exceptionally immature company, this must be a problem for a lot of your clients. Do you have advice on how to handle such a situation?

It may officially be a part of employee records but if they use your medical problems as a reason why they want to get rid of you, does a person have any legal recourse?

Last edited:

pattytx

Substance, a doctor's certification is REQUIRED for FMLA. Otherwise, the employer wouldn't know whether the absence fell under the law or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">