• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fr3dd13b1sc0

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I recently left an employment of 3 years. During that time, I think my supervisor commited an illegal act and I did not report it as I was afraid of retaliation and having a grudge held against me for whatever time I remained at that employment as I witnessed said supervisor have actions towards previous employees. If I report what I know, but I cannot prove, now, is there any legal recourse that company can take towards me ??

justalayman

understand that a person does not have to have a valid claim to sue somebody. All it takes is money so, with that in mind:

you didn't give a lot to go on but unless there is some confidentiality agreement involved and what you say is true, they would not have any valid action against you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although I don't really disagree with JAL overall, we can't give you an answer that really holds any water without knowing what illegal act you are talking about, how long ago it was and who you plan to report it to.

fr3dd13b1sc0

Need Advice ...

understand that a person does not have to have a valid claim to sue somebody. All it takes is money so, with that in mind:

you didn't give a lot to go on but unless there is some confidentiality agreement involved and what you say is true, they would not have any valid action against you.
Well I think he committed fraud. I cant prove it since i dont have access to payroll records, but i believe he got someone paid without being on duty or working. I have an email that makes a strong case for my side, but like I said i cannot be certain that this action happened as i do not have access to payroll records. This happened in 2013 and i'd either be reporting it to his supervisor or the companies "open line" ...

justalayman

is there really some underlying purpose you want to tell on the guy? Maybe a bit of a payback thing?

Unless you have something pretty damning, I would suggest letting it go.

but with the issue you are speaking of, depending on who you told and exactly what you said, if it is not provable, you could have an issue with defamation.

commentator

You did the right thing by getting away. We assume your references with this company were okay, and now you have a new position.

If that is NOT the case, and you are still job hunting, I would avoid this matter like a poisonous snake. There is no such thing as whistleblower's protection for you in private industry like this. And knowing that your employer is doing something illegal is not even a good reason to quit your job for unemployment purposes in most cases.

Now it's really up to them to discover the perfidity of one of their employees if it is there, and especially if it is repeated, is more widescale than this one incident you discovered. Especially since you have no smoking gun to show them, I don't really think this is your responsibility to report. This is not a capitol crime, where you know you should report it to the police.

It's only an "in house" matter, where you believe that some sort of fraud was committed against the company by this supervisor. There is the possibility that you didn't read the situation correctly. Or that the supervisor's supervisor is in the loop about this situation. How many of us have seen evidences in the places we work of other employees who were abusing the trust of the employer or the system? Engage yourself back in this mess only at your own risk.

If I were you, I'd walk away and forget it.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's really not possible for you to know all the details regarding someone else's employment. And if we're talking about a wage issue, right off the top of my head I can think of at least three valid and legal reasons why someone might have been entitled to be paid when they were not physically present. And you wouldn't know it.

No, there is nothing the company could do to you, legally. But if you were wrong, it's possible the guy you report might. And there's a good chance that you are wrong. Let it go.

eerelations

It is not illegal to pay someone who didn't work for that pay. The only case for wrongdoing that you have is if your former supervisor did this without his supervisor's approval. The only place to report this is to your former supervisor's boss, who will be legally free to do whatever he/she wishes (including nothing) with this information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">