• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice..Possible Defamation of Character?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wifey21

What is the name of your state? ct

SORRY, THIS IS LONG, BUT I'M REALLY IN NEED OF SOME DIRECTION HERE...

I'm an adjuster for a major insurance company. I was recently selected by management to fly to a corporate office needing weather 'catastrophe' assistance. My flight/car/meals would be company paid, AS WELL AS a dollar amount per day just for assisting (around $1500). Money I really could use, AND to boot, a fabulous opportunity to prove myself professionally. I enthusiastically accepted, made preparations, and contacted the 'head honcho' of the office I would assist to firm things up.

A couple days before my trip, the 'head honcho' called, stating that I was 'not needed', that they 'had enough help'. No problem, I cancelled everything. Very disappointed, but hey, that's how things go sometimes.

The following day, I found out from my FURIOUS boss why I was 'no longer needed'. Here is what I was told by my boss:

A gentleman I work with (not a boss, more or less an 'auditor', who works in a different office within the company), found out about my opportunity, and decided to call the same 'head honcho' I had spoken with to inform/convince him that I have 'NO CLUE' what I'm doing!! Hence, the phone call to me, that I'm no longer needed. There is confirmed proof that this occurred.

Add to this:
A couple weeks ago, this gentleman told one of my INSUREDS the same thing. The insured CALLED ME to tell me that 'so-and-so was at my home, and he told me in exact words that you have NO CLUE how to do your job'.

Now, this man and I have had a few differences of opinion on things, nothing MAJOR. I've been told that this man does not like to be challenged on his decisions, which I have done a couple times (and that is part of MY job).

As it stands now, upper management is supposed to give him a 'good talking to' at least, perhaps disciplinary action; however, I feel as if my credibility has been compromised, and I have missed out on a fabulous opportunity. The regional office heads all talk to each other, so now I worry about being 'blackballed' from the opportunity to assist other offices in the future.

We do have an ombudsman @ work, which is another way for me to pursue this. My boss directly told me that on a personal level, there are grounds for a suit.

I want to get all my ducks in order, and handle things properly, but I am so livid right now, I can't be impartial about this!

Beth3

If you want to bring a suit for defamation against this individual, here's what you need to be prepared to prove:

1. That this person knowingly lied about you;
2. That he did so maliciously;
3. That the lies were broadcast to an audience; and
4. That you suffered damages as a result.

Those elements being difficult to prove and the cost of litigation being quite high. my suggestion would be that you pursue this through your ombudsman and company management. In addition to taking whatever disciplinary action they feel necessary, it would also be appropriate for the management involved to make sure that other managers know this individual's comments are entirely without merit and were completely unacceptable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">