• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help With Eeoc Mediation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anglsoverc

What is the name of your state? Florida

I filed a charge against my former employer because of disability dicrimination. I am scheduled for Mediation in 2 weeks. I would like to know what I can reasonably ask for in mediation. (money wise). It is a long and drawn out thing. Bottom line is that she fired me after I told her that I could not work in the computer lab because it was unaccessible to me. I was working in the office prior to my being terminated. Never had a write up of any type. She also made comments to 30+ employees about the way that I walk and my "not" wanting to work in the lab. ( I walk with a awkward gait and limp) all due to my disability.

I have been to the dr and treated for stress, headaches and depression after I was terminated. I would like to know what I can reasonably hope to get.

Sharon

S

swicket

From what you are saying, you were terminated based on a Handicapping condition. Usually the act of Termination cannot be reversed through Mediation. However, it depends on how much authority is delegated to the Mediator. Usually the Mediator has general guidance on conducting the session. Both parties must approach Mediation with "opened minds" for the purposes of achieving a settlement agreement.
When you inquire about costs, this is referred to as damages. At this stage, only compensatory damages can be awarded (Usually via an administrative authority). There are two types (pecuniary and non pecuniary). Pecuniay is compensation that is referred to as "out of pocket" expenses. As you stated, you have been going to you Doctor for "stress, depression, etc." These expenses are easy to show and are usually reimbursed. However, Nonpecuniary expenses are damages resulting from *pain and suffering.* Again, it is unusual for a Mediator to award damages. All other damages are usually awarded at the judical level.
In any case, Good Luck.

A

anglsoverc

response

Ok. I understand. So I can not ask for puntive damages except on a Judical setting. There is also deframation, but I can not ask for that. What about retaliation? I had to add that to my EEOC claim because of action that she took after my termination and receipt of the eeoc document. Can I ask for anything on that?

THe involved party, above the lady that terminated me told me that they are will to neg. my terms because they want this to end with mediation. I filed my charges against a church/school (private)

Online now if you want to IM mary.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">