• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Reduction in Hours

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WonderinginFla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I have requested to work from 40 down to 35 hours weekly. Three other individuals in my work group with the same title have been allowed to reduce their hours. My supervisor told me that it will more than likely not get approved because of my title (because leadership needs to work 40). How is this fair when others who are in the same position have been approved. Do I have any recourse? I am not on any kind of warning for attendance or code of conduct.

swalsh411

If your employer requires that your position work 40 hours then your position is required to work 40 hours.

It may not be "fair" but that doesn't mean there is any law which would force them to accommodate you.

Your recourse would be to seek other employment or ask for a transfer to another position if you absolutely cannot work 40 hours a week.

Hot Topic

You've already posted why your change of hours may not be approved and that's because you're in a leadership position. It simply may not be possible for everyone in that position to reduce their hours.

Don't complain about it too much or you could find yourself with a great deal of time on your hands.

pattytx

It's slightly possible that the WHY make a difference.

So why do you feel you need the reduction?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">