• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New host being bullied at work What should I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jajajeje

DC
I am 15 and I work as a hostess at the same restaurant my father works at(not the same days).Just got off of training and improving skills. One hostess talks condescendingly on me. It was Sunday brunch and she was MD(she normally doesn't) and sat somebody at the wrong section accidentally(fixed it). given picky customers and informed of seat change requests. she thinks I am remedial, disrespects me w/ attitude ignores me until the manager comes. Leaves and comes back to the post, bumps into me, and purposefully flips her hair in my face. Other hosts give me contructive criticism and cheer me on. This particular busses doesn't like me, he goes off to the host stand and talks about me while I am away. When I come back to the stand there's an awkward silence and he leaves and gives a signal when he leaves. I am good at clearing tables it just happens to be the resetting part. I dropped a few utensils when I just started doing it and most of the time it is in my section. He shunned me from resetting his sections but now I am starting to bust/reset tables in other sections and I am improving. The other bussers encourage me and give me feedback. Some servers and food runners gossip and borderline harass me. Most servers encourage me on but some secretly talk about me behind my back because i am a daughter of a senior busser. Same with some of the food runners. I am not depressed but situation is depressing.

I'mTheFather

Just ignore the malcontents and do your job as best you can. That's about all you can do unless you think complaining to the manager will help. I don't recommend that, but it's your only other option. There is no legal remedy as it's not illegal to be a mean coworker.

commentator

Yes, unfortunate but true, it is a harsh welcome to the world of work, where nobody has to be nice to anyone else, nothing has to be fair, and the managers and bosses do not try always to work it out so that everybody gets along. For the most part, there are no laws that prohibit harassment or prohibit other employees from talking about you behind your back or disrespecting you.

You just have to learn to ignore the people you do not like, and do the job you are expected to do as best you can. You can tell them to leave you alone if they are being mean to you, though firmly, not aggressively, (be sure if doing this that you do not curse and do not cry) or you can ignore them, or you can complain to your supervisor about them, but remember that no laws are being broken and nobody HAS to make things better for you. Most employers don't want to hear about workplace relationships and workplace problems you're having, they just want to get the job done effectively.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">