• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New work schedule affects my health.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dbucha

What is the name of your state? Arizona.
I'm 53 and has worked for the same company for 33 years mostly doing the night shift. I love my job and planned to work 7 to 10 more years. The night employees have the option to work the traditional 5 day 40 hour week or,back to back 40 hours (strait 80 hours) that comes with long weekends. In 1999 I tried the strait 80 hour schedule only to learn that I got sick quite often. At the time I informed my boss that I could not handle the 80 hours. I went back to the
traditional 5 day week and all was good. March 2003 the night crew was forced to work, 80 hours, 4 days off, 80 hours, 3 days off, 40 hours, 3 days off, back to the 80 hours and so on. I informed my boss of my past experience working back to back 40 hours, it affects my health. His reply was that the schedule is a 40 hour week with rotating weekends. I informed my boss 2 more times with no reply at all. (This whole schedule change has been very shady.(did notfollowprodures, misleading actions) The first time in 33 years it feels the company has crossed --- that line intentionally. Don't want to go to the union or the company's medical group. Now I would like to retire and go to court and get compensated for the 7 to 10 years I needed to work. Why? It appears the company's new owners of 3 years listens and acts only to court orders. Question. Would it be advantages for me to get a lawyer to protect my interest? Or should I just get sick.
thank you

Last edited:

Beth3

Absent an employment contract or CBA to the contrary, it is the employer's perogative to set work schedules and change them as they feel appropriate/necessary. The fact that you worked "five eights" for many years and the fact that this work schedule doesn't agree with you doesn't make it illegal and doesn't mean they can't stick with the changes they've made.

Since you mention a union, it appears you may file a grievance and take it from there but I don't remotely see any basis for you to take the employer to court and certainly not to get paid for 10 years salary for the schedule change you don't want to work.

You can talk to a lawyer if you want but it appears that would be a waste of time and money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">