• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No lunch break?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KCMR

What is the name of your state? Pa

I work a six hour day. Am I entitled to take a lunch break? I read on this site earlier:

WHAT ARE MY RIGHTS ON TAKING LUNCH?
With the exception of the broadcasting and motion picture industries, the rule for meal periods is that no person may be employed for a work period of more than five hours without a meal period of not less than 30 minutes. However, the meal period may be waived by mutual consent if a work period of not more than six hours will complete the day's work. Unless the employee is completely relieved of duty, the meal period must be considered time worked. Also, if employees must eat on the premises, a suitable place for that purpose must be designated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
"With the exception of the broadcasting and motion picture industries, the rule for meal periods is that no person may be employed for a work period of more than five hours without a meal period of not less than 30 minutes. However, the meal period may be waived by mutual consent if a work period of not more than six hours will complete the day's work. Unless the employee is completely relieved of duty, the meal period must be considered time worked. Also, if employees must eat on the premises, a suitable place for that purpose must be designated."

This is the law in California ONLY. If you are in PA, it does not apply.

PA does not require that you be provided with any breaks unless the employer so chooses.

K

KCMR

cbg said:
"With the exception of the broadcasting and motion picture industries, the rule for meal periods is that no person may be employed for a work period of more than five hours without a meal period of not less than 30 minutes. However, the meal period may be waived by mutual consent if a work period of not more than six hours will complete the day's work. Unless the employee is completely relieved of duty, the meal period must be considered time worked. Also, if employees must eat on the premises, a suitable place for that purpose must be designated."

This is the law in California ONLY. If you are in PA, it does not apply.

PA does not require that you be provided with any breaks unless the employer so chooses.
ok...so if in our employee manual it states that every employee be given .5 hour unpaid lunch and two .25 hours of paid breaks...am I entitled. It is not specific to part time or full time employees.

Beth3

"ok...so if in our employee manual it states that every employee be given .5 hour unpaid lunch and two .25 hours of paid breaks...am I entitled" That's entirely up to your employer - you need to ask them. The above responders are telling you that PA reg's don't require you to provide adults with breaks at all.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are asking whether having it in the handbook that you may take these breaks means you are now legally entitled to them, the answer is that in 999 cases out of 1000 you are not. The 1000th case would be if your handbook is so poorly worded as to constitute a contract, which the VERY large majority of them do not.

This is not a legal issue; this is an issue between you and your employer.

JETX

Also, since you work a six hour day, you would not be eligible to the same breaks as available to the 'full-time' (full day) employee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">