• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No lunch break?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CRCool75

If I am scheduled to work 4-10's, aren't they required to give me a lunch break? Right now I'm working 4-12's through the night. Am I allowed to leave the building to go get something to eat? By the way, I'm in Alabama. I know by law they are required to give you 30 min. for an eight hour day, but think there are certain alterations to that law.

B

buddy2bear

ALABAMA - Part III - Wages, Hours, Child Labor -- BNA State Labor Laws Section 10:311 --

Maximum Hours - No general provision. Restrictions apply to children, and vary according to the age of the child. See Child Labor, p. 348:601 for specific requirements.

Mandatory Time Off/Day of Rest - No minor, apprentice, or servant may be required to perform any labor on Sunday, except customary domestic duties or works of charity; merchants and shopkeepers, druggists excepted, may not keep stores open on Sunday. Certain other specific operations exempted.

Required Meal/Rest Periods - No worker who is 14 or 15 years of age may be employed for more than 5 continuous hours without an interval of at least 30 minutes for a meal or rest period. Any meal or rest period of less than 30 minutes is not considered to interrupt a continuous period of work.

Special Occupations - Truckdrivers: 10-hour day followed by 8-hour rest, plus certain provisions; special provisions apply in adverse weather. State Law Enforcement Officers: 1 1/2 times regular pay or compensatory time for hours in excess of 8-hour day or 40 hour week.

The above is all that is under Alabama State Labor Law, which basically means that if you are an adult, not a member of a union or have an employment agreement, the employer can work you to death without meal breaks, etc.

So now you know why the South doesn't cotton to unions! Employers in the South would have to give their employees some rights for heaven's sake if they were unionized!

C

CRCool75

I seem to hate this state more and more... Every day I hear something else that works to my disadvantage, they have me by the balls and there's nothing I can do about it right now. I have heard in the state of Alabama, they don't have to give you a reason to fire you, and also they don't have to pay you over time pay if a company has less than 50 employees. Whether or not this is true, I don't know yet.

I work on a four person help desk, which used to be a six person help desk until they laid off two people and cut my pay by over $2.00 an hour. We provide a 24/7 sevice. Nothing I can do but find another job, which hasn't been too easy. The company I'm with is beginning to fold, that's why I need to get out. For the past two years I have worked without a lunch break, but nothing has ever been said about it. I want to find another job and watch this company burn to the ground. There is so much I can say, but I'd be typing all night. They seem to screw employees out of everything and get away with it.

B

buddy2bear

Dear CRCool:

If at all possible and you can move out of Alabama, you should check out other States' labor laws before you do. Pick a worker-friendly State -- that is if you can actually find one. Here in Yankeeland, your help desk skills are highly prized and I don't think you would have a problem finding a good paying job. There are a lot of brokerage firms, banks and large law firms, that could use you on their help desks - Ya all will just have to get used to snow instead of floods!

C

CRCool75

Thanks buddy... Actually I'm headed over to a university today to give them my resume for a computer operations job. Computer operations is what I have done and I really am a self taught technician. That's what I'm after this job, they will help on my tuition so I can get the computer certifications I want, like the MCSE. Once I have some more schooling, I can get the hell out of this state.

B

buddy2bear

Outside of the "politics" that go on, a University position is a "protected" position. Once you get in there, you just might not ever want to move out. Go for it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">