• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

not getting paid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

truthrocks

What is the name of your state? Iowa
My place of employment had a fire and all employees became ineligible to work. We were told that because they valued us as workers that they were giving us compensation for missed work. (average of previous wages) For those who were not planning on working during the summer and later in the future, no compensation would be given. I had already mentioned that, although I would be gone for about two months, that I was planning to work before and after my trip. Today, when I went to pick up my check, I found out they weren't giving me one. Is this legal? As far as I know, not one other person has been denied pay.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They indicated that they would NOT be paying those who were not going to be working during the summer. You had indicated that you would NOT be working for a period of two months.

Unless you were singled out BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, disability, gender, age (over 40) or pregnancy, this is not illegal. From what you have posted, it does not seem like you have a case for illegal discrimination.

You do understand, don't you, that the company had NO obligation whatsoever to pay ANY employee ANYTHING after the fire?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">