• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was not given a job because of a chapter 13 bk

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jennyinoregon

Hi I live in Oregon and was offered employment with a very well known investment company pending a background check. I signed an agreement so that the company may do a background check on me and was shocked that they called 4 days later just to tell me that because I filed a chapter 13 bk in 1999, discharged in 2002 and paid in full, they will not be able to hire me. I feel discriminated against, can they do that?

stephenk

dont you think it would be ironic for an investment company to hire someone who had to file bankruptcy?

bad financial decision making that results in bankruptcy is a legitimate reason to not hire you. sorry.

Z

zappy

It would be like hiring an ex-con on parole for burglary to install burglar alarms.

geez cant anyone have a friend stop by unanounced...LOL

JETX

zappy said:
It would be like hiring an ex-con on parole for burglury to install burglur alarms.
Crappy... is that some of YOUR ebonixxx that you are using??

You made fun of someone on another post because of their spelling and grammar... yet, you can't even spell BURGLAR!!

J

Jennyinoregon

I understand their whole idea of "responsibility" however, I made weekly payment for 4 years, never missing one, to clear this bk and EVERYONE got their money back. I think that I demonstrated total responsibility by making good on my debts. Everyone makes mistakes, just some of us learn from them, others never learn.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You may be right, Jenny, but the fact remains that the investment company did not break any laws in rescinding the offer.

J

Jennyinoregon

thank you CBG, I wasnt sure if it was legal or not, however If I was refused employment because of the color of my skin instead of my credit history then it would be discrimination.

JETX

"If I was refused employment because of the color of my skin instead of my credit history then it would be discrimination."
*** You are correct. The federal government has deemed that certain decisions by a company owner are against the 'common good' and has passed laws to prevent them. At this point, 'credit status' is not one of the barred 'discriminatory practices'.

HomeGuru

Jennyinoregon said:
I understand their whole idea of "responsibility" however, I made weekly payment for 4 years, never missing one, to clear this bk and EVERYONE got their money back. I think that I demonstrated total responsibility by making good on my debts. Everyone makes mistakes, just some of us learn from them, others never learn.

**A: on your BK petition, on the list of unsecured creditors, did everyone on this list get their money back even if the debts were discharged?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">