• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nurse Staffing Agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ams120

I was recently hired at a nurse staffing agency three months ago, and I've already witnessed two instances of discrimination. The office manager keeps a list of all the white nurses, and when a private duty client suggested that her father was not comfortable with a black nurse in the house, the manager took the job away from the black nurse and gave it to a white nurse.

The owner of the company also readily admitted, without me asking, that he does not hire men for office positions because he "does not want to deal with sexual harassment in the workplace." He only hires women to work in the office, and, if an apparent male's resume comes in for a position, he instantly throws it away.

I'm uncomfortable with both of these instances, and, morally, I feel as if I should do/say something, but I'm also wondering if I can be held liable if someone ever brings a suit against the business for discrimination. Will I be held liable for anything if I failed to report the discrimination happening?

sandyclaus

I was recently hired at a nurse staffing agency three months ago, and I've already witnessed two instances of discrimination. The office manager keeps a list of all the white nurses, and when a private duty client suggested that her father was not comfortable with a black nurse in the house, the manager took the job away from the black nurse and gave it to a white nurse.

The owner of the company also readily admitted, without me asking, that he does not hire men for office positions because he "does not want to deal with sexual harassment in the workplace." He only hires women to work in the office, and, if an apparent male's resume comes in for a position, he instantly throws it away.

I'm uncomfortable with both of these instances, and, morally, I feel as if I should do/say something, but I'm also wondering if I can be held liable if someone ever brings a suit against the business for discrimination. Will I be held liable for anything if I failed to report the discrimination happening?
While admirable, the issues you have mentioned do not affect YOU. You may be able to act as a witness to the discriminatory acts, but unless it affects you personally, there isn't much you can really do if those affected don't know or don't pursue action against the employer.

You could contact the EEOC and see if they have any pending claims, and report your findings. Perhaps they will start an investigation or some kind of "sting" operation to catch these people in the act.

OHRoadwarrior

There does not appear to be any illegal discrimination. The agency is not setting requirements for the nurse, the customer is. By your logic, an elderly woman who had been the victim of a gang rape must submit to a male nurse attending her physical needs, whether she wants them or not. Gender discrimination in management is not factored based on an individual position. It can however be based on the ratio of males/females in management potentially.

justalayman

ams120;3159892]I was recently hired at a nurse staffing agency three months ago, and I've already witnessed two instances of discrimination. The office manager keeps a list of all the white nurses, and when a private duty client suggested that her father was not comfortable with a black nurse in the house, the manager took the job away from the black nurse and gave it to a white nurse.
so, are you suggesting a client does not have a right to discriminate? I know I surely do get to control who comes into my home whether it be due to their personality, the perfume/cologne they wear, or any legally protected considerations.

yep, that one is illegal.

not unless you are the one discriminating.

LdiJ

I agree with the others on the first issue. The client, the patient who is being cared for (rather intimately in many cases) does have the right to a caregiver with whom they are comfortable. While it might be sad that they are uncomfortable with someone of a specific race or other characteristic, they do have the right to be comfortable.

Just Blue

U.S. Law Only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">