• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Office Worker Forced To Work In Warehouse in high heals

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tickedoff222

What is the name of your state? California

Hello Everyone,

I could use some advise.

Today myself and another black female co-worker were forced to work outside in the warehouse. We had on business suits and high heals. My shoes were open toed high heal sandals.

One of our programs went down and was going to be down the rest of the day. I had a ton of other work that I need to do. I was told to go work in the warehouse in open toed high heals while my work was given to a caucasion co-worker.

I did bring the shoes to my supervisors attention and she ignored me and preceeded to take me to the warehouse supervisor to start working out there for the rest of the day (this was at approx. 11:00 am).

I worked out there until lunch time at 11:30 am where I walked off of the job.

Was I discriminated against? Was I wrong to walk off? Do I have a case and if so where do I begin.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tickedoff222 said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello Everyone,

I could use some advise.

Today myself and another black female co-worker were forced to work outside in the warehouse. We had on business suits and high heals. My shoes were open toed high heal sandals.

One of our programs went down and was going to be down the rest of the day. I had a ton of other work that I need to do. I was told to go work in the warehouse in open toed high heals while my work was given to a caucasion co-worker.

I did bring the shoes to my supervisors attention and she ignored me and preceeded to take me to the warehouse supervisor to start working out there for the rest of the day (this was at approx. 11:00 am).

I worked out there until lunch time at 11:30 am where I walked off of the job.

Was I discriminated against? Was I wrong to walk off? Do I have a case and if so where do I begin.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

My response:

Oh, please.

IAAL

Beth3

Was I wrong to walk off? Well, I suspect you can anticipate getting fired, which is almost always the result of walking off the job.

There's no evidence anyone selected you and your co-worker to work in the warehouse for the day because of your race. No, you don't have a case. You can't sue over your footwear either.

T

tickedoff222

What do you mean oh please.

The 2 black employees were forced to work outside in the warehouse while our work was given to the white employees to stay inside.

High-heal sandals aren't allowed in the warehouse first of all, it is a safety hazard.

I am usually not a person to harp on the black white thing, but how would you feel if this happened to you??

M

Meryl Doe

Is this a one time event, or have you seen a pattern? Before they fire you for walking off, draft a complaint of discrimination and either fax it or email it. That way you won't get fired. Then investigate and figure if there is further proof of discrimination. If it is a one time event, it sounds like it was only bad luck. But if they chose the Caucasians to stay inside, KNOWINGLY and discriminatory, then you might have a first complaint of discrimination.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

tickedoff222 said:
What do you mean oh please.

The 2 black employees were forced to work outside in the warehouse while our work was given to the white employees to stay inside.

High-heal sandals aren't allowed in the warehouse first of all, it is a safety hazard.

I am usually not a person to harp on the black white thing, but how would you feel if this happened to you??

My response:

Why do Blacks always expect preferential treatment? Why is the first reaction Blacks have to situations always come down to Race? "They made us go into the cotton fields, and let the white massa's boy drink lemonade." Oh, give me a break, will ya?

We're tired of it, and it get's you nowhere real fast.

IAAL

T

tickedoff222

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Why do Blacks always expect preferential treatment? Why is the first reaction Blacks have to situations always come down to Race? "They made us go into the cotton fields, and let the white massa's boy drink lemonade." Oh, give me a break, will ya?

We're tired of it, and it get's you nowhere real fast.

IAAL
OK you are ignorant. If you don't have anything useful to say, please don't say anything at all.

M

Meryl Doe

Where did you read she is expecting preferential treatment? She was only expecting EQUAL treatment. Forced to work in hazardous conditions, while her white counterparts were kept inside in safe conditions is NOT expecting preferential treatment. This is why our civilization doesn't improve. Lawmakers can't get to the point and reason things without sneaking outrageous distortions when victims voice their complaints.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Meryl Doe said:
Is this a one time event, or have you seen a pattern? Before they fire you for walking off, draft a complaint of discrimination and either fax it or email it. That way you won't get fired. Then investigate and figure if there is further proof of discrimination. If it is a one time event, it sounds like it was only bad luck. But if they chose the Caucasians to stay inside, KNOWINGLY and discriminatory, then you might have a first complaint of discrimination.

My response:

And, how is our writer going to prove "KNOWINGLY"?

That's it, when there's nothing "overt", keep giving reasons to continue polarizing the Races by turning every situation into a Racial situation.

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Meryl Doe

Take what you need, and call a local attorney for further information. This site provides "free advice", but you get what you pay for.

T

tickedoff222

Meryl Doe said:
An incident actually happened last week where our supervisor appointed the other black woman to be in charge of the department while she was out of town. The manager over all departments was mad about this because she had someone else in mind and she made the girls life a living hell last week.

Then this incident happened today. The decision to have us work outside was the managers decision. So maybe it was retaliation and not discrimination?? I am not sure, but it was still wrong to me.

Thanks for your response.

M

Meryl Doe

IAAL, how do you explain that two blacks were put in hazardous conditions, while the whites were left inside "safe"? Made to work under hazardous conditions goes against company policies. Now, coincidentally, only blacks were put into these conditions. She must complain somehow.

T

tickedoff222

Meryl Doe said:
Take what you need, and call a local attorney for further information. This site provides "free advice", but you get what you pay for.
Thanks for your help. I was starting to feel that I shouldn't have asked for help here.

I was asking an honest question and I was hit with ignorance.

I didn't make a big deal about leaving today, I just said I didn't feel well and left. Do you think I should just document this incident and keep a record of anything else that happens, or just not go back to the company?

Thanks for all your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

I maintain my previous responses - - you failed to describe the "White" persons; e.g., age, height, abilities, etc. For all we know, the employer made a good business decision based upon criterion that you have failed to mention.

Second, you never mentioned whether or not you've worked in the warehouse before. Perhaps you know the job, and the White person doesn't. I have no idea, but these are certainly things you could and should have mentioned before playing the "Race Card".

But, the first thing that comes out of your "fingers" is - - "It was racial!!"

That's why this is all bullcrap and that's why society is tired of the excuses Blacks make when "things don't seem fair". Life ain't fair!!

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

Unless you can come back and explain EXACTLY what you did in the warehouse, the location (with description) and your qualifications versus the co-worker's qualifications regarding the work in the warehouse, then I agree with IAAL....quit playing the race card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">