• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crleslie

What is the name of your state? California\

Hi, I couldn't find a more appropriate spot to post in, so here goes.
I work at a store that is open 24 hours. The owner of the store claims that for the store, a new day starts at 4 a.m., so if you work overtime that is split up by this "new day start" you don't get overtime. For example, a lady I work with once worked a 16 hour double shift hoping for overtime. She worked part, I assume half, from 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. and the second half from 4 a.m. to 12 noon the next day. She was not given overtime because the 4 a.m. cutoff started her a new day.
It was my understanding that OT is anything over 8 hours worked in a 24 hour period, regardless of when the new day starts.
Am I wrong? What defines OT? Where can I research some labor law issues?
Thanks for your time.

Beth3

Under federal law, you need only be paid OT for hours worked in excess of 40 in every 7-day payroll period. California law is more stringent and I believes requires OT to be paid for all hours worked over 8 on any particular day. There may be other requirements as well. As CA reg's are quite unique compared to other States, I suggest you call CA's Labor Board and put your questions to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">