• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

overtime mandation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Y

yellowjacket98

What is the name of your state?
Michigan
i need to know what exactly constitutes overtime in my state. i also need to know how it applies to an indian reservation.
the situation is as follows:
my boss wants me to stay after my shift because we are short staffed. the next day, the end of our work week, i am sent home early because i have overtime. i do not own a car of my own (i car-pool) and it is almost imposible for me to find a ride home in the middle of my shift. this week i refused and he told me he would mandate me to stay if i said no. i replied that he could not without sufficient notice. i explained that if he considered it neccessary for me to stay over, then i considered it neccessary to be paid for my time, (i.e. not being sent home early)
he then told me that i should stay as a favor to him since he had done me a "favor" and let me take time off of work for a vacation last month. i told him that it has nothing to do with favors, i earn my time off and should not have to be given a guilt trip for using it. he told me. "ok, fine, we'll see what happens the next time you need a day off". later he came and told me that i was no longer allowed to work overtime. also i was scheduled to come in early the next day and was told i could not. he said he had found someone else who doesn't mind working over time.
is he out of line or are there no laws covering when an employee does or does not have to put in overtime?
even so should i have to be threatened every week with either "mandation" or "no more days off"?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is nothing illegal about mandated overtime, nothing illegal about him scheduling someone else for it instead of you since you gave him a hard time about it, and he has no legal obligation to give you days off when you ask for them.

The only law about overtime is that if you work it, you have to be paid for it. Nothing in the law dictates when you do and don't have to work it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">