• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Panic attack write up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mewtoo

I live in Michigan and I'm currently in the second trimester of my pregnancy. My work is well aware of this and the fact that my mother in law is going through some health issues. I have expressed to them several times that I am overwhelmed, lacking sleep and just extra moody in general.

I ended up having a panic attack during work hours and because it was in front of customers I was sent home. (Which is fine). The next day I apologized to the manager on duty and explained that I was having a panic attack and the other manager did not help my situation.

The NEXT day I came into a write up for the scene and when I reiterated the fact that I was having a panic attack all the manager said was. "Oh...well...sorry? But I have to write you up." Is this legal?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in Michigan and I'm currently in the second trimester of my pregnancy. My work is well aware of this and the fact that my mother in law is going through some health issues. I have expressed to them several times that I am overwhelmed, lacking sleep and just extra moody in general.

I ended up having a panic attack during work hours and because it was in front of customers I was sent home. (Which is fine). The next day I apologized to the manager on duty and explained that I was having a panic attack and the other manager did not help my situation.

The NEXT day I came into a write up for the scene and when I reiterated the fact that I was having a panic attack all the manager said was. "Oh...well...sorry? But I have to write you up." Is this legal?
Yes, it's legal.

Just Blue

Pregnancy is not a protected class. I have 2 children both of which involved working during said pregnancies. Enduring hormonal issues. It is just something we deal with. :)

adjusterjack

I live in Michigan and I'm currently in the second trimester of my pregnancy. My work is well aware of this and the fact that my mother in law is going through some health issues.
So?

I have expressed to them several times that I am overwhelmed, lacking sleep and just extra moody in general.
Do you expect your boss to let you relax in the break room all day? You're paid to do a job. If you can't do it, quit and go home.

Of course it's legal.

commentator

Panic attacks, while they may be a very valid and real thing to you, unfortunately are not as easily recognized and empathized with as say, a broken leg. It may appear to others you're just having some kind of temper fit, or behaving in a way you could control.

Don't expect the employer to be as sympathetic over this as they would be if you had some clear cut injury or even a cold or the flu. Yes, oh yes, hormones can swing during pregnancy, but it is never acceptable to "lose it" on the job. And sending you home was appropriate, and that you had to leave the work floor and were not able to continue your assigned shift, they can possibly feel that this was some inappropriate work behavior.

But even if you'd had to leave due to a cold or a broken leg, (my problem when pregnant was severe nausea!) whatever, they could elect to write you up. There's no protection in the labor laws for their writing you up for whatever reason. Just move on, don't worry about this too. Do not expect your employer to be overly sympathetic about your at home concerns, even if they are very serious ones. The employer is in business to get the job done, not to be sympathetic and understanding with employees. If you have too many issues, regardless of how genuine they may be, unfortunately in today's work world, they are within their rights to terminate you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">