• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay Increase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

juanjune

What is the name of your state? California

I have been with my company for over 3 years now. I started in 2000. I'm due for an annual review this month. I didn't receive a pay increase the first year I was with the company. I called Human Resources and spoke to someone about it. I asked him is it correct that we get a raise once a year. He replied that it was correct. When I asked could he give me that raise on top of this year's. He said that there was no way to go back a year.

I read the employee handbook (revised in 2002)and I even told my current boss about this. She called HR and they replied that at the time I was hired, they didn't have that policy of giving annual raises. That is not true because everyone that I have spoken to did receive a raise each year they have been with the company. So why won't they give me mine? I called HR and asked them to send me an employee handbook from the year 2000 and 2001. The woman I spoke to replied that she has to look to see if there are any lying around. What else do you suggest I should do?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless your handbook is written in such a way as to create a contract (which is remotely possible but very unlikely) they do not ever have to give anyone a raise, unless you are working at minimum wage and minimum wage is raised by either state or Federal law. If they are not willing to give you a retroactive raise, I suggest you quit bugging them about it because the law is not on your side.

The only way it would be illegal for you not to get a raise when everyone else did would be if you were singled out BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, age 40+, disability or pregnancy. (In your state you may also add to that list political affiliation, sexual orientation and marital status).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">