• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pay raise denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Peppy

What is the name of your state? north carolina
I recently was filling in on a managers position for 2 1/2 years doing all the mgrs work. I was noted as asst mgr. When it came time for my yearly raise I was denied because they said I was not a mgr. Though I was doing all the mgrs work. They demoted me because I did not want the mgrs title because of my concerns of discrimination and being fired so they wouldn't have to pay employment and severence. I was demoted from Asst. mgr to regular employee with no raise. I have never been written up or had any bad reviews in 7 years. Out of the 7 years I was a mgr for 5 years. I stepped down because of the firing of my gender when management changed. What can I do?

Beth3

You need to post back and explain what you're talking about - CLEARLY. It appears you're saying you didn't want the managers job but are also saying that there's some sort of gender discrimination that has taken place????

P

Peppy

pay raise denied

Sorry for the confusion.
Basically I was told I would not get a raise because I was demoted from asst mgr to regular employee.
No one told me of this change until I requested my review which was past due.
The fact being though my title was demoted, my job requirements was not. I still had to complete the mgrs work. Therefore I felt I should have gotten my yearly raise that all employees receive at their yearly anniversary. I hope this is some what clearer.

Beth3

Thanks.

Pay raises are given at the behest of the company. No one is "entitled" to a pay raise unless they have an employment contract guaranteeing same, or they are being paid minimum wage and the minimum wage is increased by your State legislature or an act of Congress.

The bottom line is that if you are no longer satisfied with the terms of your employment, you are free to seek a more favorable situaiton elsewhere.

P

Peppy

pay raise

What about the fact that I am still required to do the mgrs duties? And not listed as being the mgr but a regular employee?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That still does not make it mandatory that you be given a pay raise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">