• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Performance Evaluation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LesTrot

What is the name of your state? Virginia, I work in District of Columbia.

I recently received a performance evaluation that was much lower than what I had received in previous years. It is not clear to me why the evaluation is so much lower than in the past.

As a rule, my employer asks all employees to sign and return their evaluations after discussion with their supervisors. There is a short period of time in which to do this.

My question is this. Can I refuse to sign my evaluation until I have had time to investigate why my evaluation was lowered or should I just sign and return it. This is important because evaluations are linked to compensation. I am getting close to retirement and our pension benefit is tied to compensation during the last three years of service. I am concerned that if I sign the evaluation, it will go into my file and I may lose forever any chance to challenge the rating.

Thanks for any help or thoughts,

Les

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Semantic hair splitting:

CAN you refuse to sign? Yes, you can, in the sense that no one is holding a gun to your head.

Is it a good idea? You're the only one who can decide that; however, be advised that if they choose to call it insubordination and fire you for it, it's legal.

Signing does not signify that you agree with the evaluation; it signifies that you have been told of the contents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">