• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Performance Increases & Chapter 13 Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cfeather

What is the name of your state? AR. My husband and I filed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy in 2001 because of a failed business of 18 years. I work for a bank and they are one of our larger unsecured and secured creditors. We reaffirmed the secured debt and are making monthly payments. I have told the bank, my employer, that I will pay the unsecured debt also but it will have to be after we pay off the secured debt because the court has our payments so high we don't have funds left over to reaffirm any additional debt. My employer told me last year I was not getting a raise or a promotion "because of my financial situation with the bank". This year we had the best year bank wide and I put in hundreds of hours of overtime. The Board of our bank told me what a good job I did this year and I received a very good evaluation. BUT no salary increase again "because of my financial situation with the bank". I didn't think as a unsecured creditor that they could retaliate against me because I cannot pay the unsecured debt at this time? Can they continue to freeze my salary and withhold promotions even though they have given me good evaluations? I know this is a difficult situation because of working for a bank and having financial problems but it does happen. Thanks.

S

Sinsaint26

There are no laws requiring an employer to give employee raises therefore they cannot be discriminating or retaliating against you by not giving you a raise. On a personal note, this is very unfair. Maybe you can consider employement elsewhere.

C

cfeather

Thank you for your response. I understand that an employer doesn't have to give salary increases but in the case above my employer increased 32 salaries out of 41 employees. The ones that did not receive an increase are the "non-performers". He has told me I am not in that category. Also, I am a supervisor and I was able to give my employees a 10% increase in salary because of the good year we had and their hard work. I worked so many more hours than my staff because we limit hourly overtime. I just wondered if any of the above would make a difference? You are right a change in jobs would be good, unfortunately, I live in a small community and to change jobs would be to travel an hour away to another community. It may still be worth it. Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sorry, nothing you have shared makes a difference. Nothing you have posted makes it illegal for the boss to refuse you an increase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">