• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal information disclosed at trade school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sub602

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?AZ
I live in Arizona and attended a small, privately owned trade school, out of state, after quitting my job to pursue a new career. While I was attending this school, the instructor took it upon himself to investigate my background by calling my former coworkers. He then disclosed his findings to the entire class. He disclosed my family background, my background, and very personal genetic information. I was confronted by a classmate about this information while the other classmates picked on me. The owner/operator of the school caught wind of what was going on and made an announcement to the class that this is unacceptable and anyone found harassing me would be expelled.

Over the course of the first year of my career, the information the instructor disclosed has followed me around from employer to employer. Usually spread by my former classmates and then by coworkers. I have had to deal with harassing comments and treatment from coworkers on two out of three contract jobs that I have worked. It was so bad on the last contract job I worked that management heard about what was going on before I had a chance to file a complaint. Out of nowhere, management held ethics training classes for a small portion of employees and made several announcements that harassing comments about race, religion, sex, and “genetic information” is unlawful. This did not stop the harassing comments and treatment. I then went to my direct supervisor to file a complaint and this did not help either. I wanted to quit several times, but couldn’t because I needed the money to pay bills. I have never been so humiliated and hurt in my entire life. It has been over a month since the contract has ended and I am still waking up in the middle of the night experiencing anxiety attacks and horrible thoughts.

Because of the actions of the school instructor, I’m afraid my career was over before it even got started. I fear because of the small, tight-knit community of the industry I’m in, I will have a very difficult time finding employment again. And if I do, I’m afraid I will have to deal with the harassment again. I’m at a total loss as to what to do. I’m ready to quit and write-off all of the time, money spent, and effort I put in to starting a new career. Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?AZ
I live in Arizona and attended a small, privately owned trade school, out of state, after quitting my job to pursue a new career. While I was attending this school, the instructor took it upon himself to investigate my background by calling my former coworkers. He then disclosed his findings to the entire class. He disclosed my family background, my background, and very personal genetic information. I was confronted by a classmate about this information while the other classmates picked on me. The owner/operator of the school caught wind of what was going on and made an announcement to the class that this is unacceptable and anyone found harassing me would be expelled.

Over the course of the first year of my career, the information the instructor disclosed has followed me around from employer to employer. Usually spread by my former classmates and then by coworkers. I have had to deal with harassing comments and treatment from coworkers on two out of three contract jobs that I have worked. It was so bad on the last contract job I worked that management heard about what was going on before I had a chance to file a complaint. Out of nowhere, management held ethics training classes for a small portion of employees and made several announcements that harassing comments about race, religion, sex, and “genetic information” is unlawful. This did not stop the harassing comments and treatment. I then went to my direct supervisor to file a complaint and this did not help either. I wanted to quit several times, but couldn’t because I needed the money to pay bills. I have never been so humiliated and hurt in my entire life. It has been over a month since the contract has ended and I am still waking up in the middle of the night experiencing anxiety attacks and horrible thoughts.

Because of the actions of the school instructor, I’m afraid my career was over before it even got started. I fear because of the small, tight-knit community of the industry I’m in, I will have a very difficult time finding employment again. And if I do, I’m afraid I will have to deal with the harassment again. I’m at a total loss as to what to do. I’m ready to quit and write-off all of the time, money spent, and effort I put in to starting a new career. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have a few questions, Sub602.

In what state was the trade school located?

Do you know why the instructor wanted to investigate your background? Why was this information available to your coworkers to pass on to this instructor (in other words, why was this private information disclosed by you to others in the first place)?

How is the disclosure of your genetic information affecting your job search or career? Does this information, for some reason, have a logical, meaningful connection to how or whether you can perform the job for which you've been educated?

If you cannot answer some of these questions without disclosing your private information, you may have to consult with an attorney in your area, so the attorney can do a personal review of all facts and advise you accordingly.

Last edited:

Sub602

I have a few questions, Sub602.

In what state was the trade school located?

Do you know why the instructor wanted to investigate your background? Why was this information available to your coworkers to pass on to this instructor (in other words, why was this private information disclosed by you to others in the first place)?

How is the disclosure of your genetic information affecting your job search or career? Does this information, for some reason, have a logical, meaningful connection to how or whether you can perform the job for which you've been educated?

If you cannot answer some of these questions without disclosing your private information, you may have to consult with an attorney in your area, so the attorney can do a personal review of all facts and advise you accordingly.
Colorado

The instructor recognized my name. I guess you could say I come from a well-known family within some circles and his curiosity got the best of him. He had to know more about me, but was scared to approach me about it. I think he also knew I was not going to discuss it with him willingly.

I did not disclose any information to my coworkers. I dated someone, a coworker from a different department, who disclosed the information without my permission or knowledge.

It’s only been a little over one month since my last contract job and I haven’t been able to find employment yet. However, this is normal in my line of work, so I cannot say if it has or has not affected my job search at this point. As far as my career goes, I have to deal with the comments and treatment I very briefly discussed in my original post.

The information does not have any type of connection to whether or not I can perform my job satisfactorily. I am able to pass all health exams/physicals with absolutely no problem.

Last edited:

quincy

First, thank you Sub602, for answering the questions I asked. The answer to swalsh's question can be important to know, too.

There is probably even more that we need to know to give you anywhere near a complete answer but, if you told your girlfriend/coworker a few years ago or many years ago personal information, and this personal information was disclosed to her in confidence (with the expectation that it would not be repeated), then this girlfriend/coworker abused this confidence and invaded your privacy if she told another or others this information.

She would be the one who would be held responsible for the disclosure of private information, if you decide to take legal action.

However, a legal action will only publicize to a wider audience the private facts of your life and, if you are well-known, the audience can be very wide.

Right now, there is probably very little to do other than what you already did in your last place of employment (having management address the issue of harassment with the workers) because you cannot directly connect the "gossip" to an economic loss. You do not have any proof that what has been said about you has affected your job search in a negative way.

You can go over all facts with an attorney in your area, to see if there is anything you can do right now that makes sense, but I am not seeing much, other than a possible invasion of privacy/publication of private facts suit against your former girlfriend - if you can prove she is the only one who could have communicated the information to others and the time that has passed since you dated her is still within the statute of limitations for such a suit.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Sub602

First, thank you Sub602, for answering the questions I asked. The answer to swalsh's question can be important to know, too.

There is probably even more that we need to know to give you anywhere near a complete answer but, if you told your girlfriend/coworker a few years ago or many years ago personal information, and this personal information was disclosed to her in confidence (with the expectation that it would not be repeated), then this girlfriend/coworker abused this confidence and invaded your privacy if she told another or others this information.

She would be the one who would be held responsible for the disclosure of private information, if you decide to take legal action.

However, a legal action will only publicize to a wider audience the private facts of your life and, if you are well-known, the audience can be very wide.

Right now, there is probably very little to do other than what you already did in your last place of employment (having management address the issue of harassment with the workers) because you cannot directly connect the "gossip" to an economic loss. You do not have any proof that what has been said about you has affected your job search in a negative way.

You can go over all facts with an attorney in your area, to see if there is anything you can do right now that makes sense, but I am not seeing much, other than a possible invasion of privacy/publication of public facts suit against your former girlfriend - if you can prove she is the only one who could have communicated the information to others and the time that has passed since you dated her is still within the statute of limitations for such a suit.

Good luck.
Thank you for your input, quincy. What you said makes sense. I still find it disturbing an instructor at a school as the right to dig around and spread personal information to other students. It just seems wrong and unethical to me.

Is what was said about you truthful and a matter of public record?
It is truthful and in no way is it a matter of public record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">