• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Photos taken without permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flabergasted

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I work for a company that is contracted by another very large international company. The company we are contracted by is located in the same state. I recently went on a trip to one of the client's offices out of state for product implementation. When I returned my supervisor's boss called me in to a meeting to share feedback she received. I was told that I had been dressed below standards and therefore presented myself to the client inappropriately. I found this odd. Our policy is to dress one step higher than the client, which I had done. Client wore jeans, I wore dress pants and a polo. I pressed this further, questioning how I could possibly be below the client's standards. It was reveled that at one point a polo shirt I was wearing had a small rip in a side seam, normally covered by my arms, and at one point before leaving the hotel in the morning, my stomach poked out (I am somewhat overweight). I cannot tuck in. None of this was brought to my attention by the client at all. I contested that I had no knoweledge of either, and had I been told there was a small half inch tear in my polo, I would have fixed it or changed. The company's official response was this does not matter, the client complained and that is all that matters and I have no right to defense or appeal. I have already been denied any further advancement with the company..

This surprised me that there was no possible defense on my part. I pushed for 2 more days with no resolution in sight. At the end of today, the lead for the project (who was involved with the meeting) pulled me aside to explain why I was not allowed any defense. Apparently, while I was not looking, the client's employee I reported to had used her cell phone to snap photos of me and these "offenses" and had shared them with my supervisor's boss. I had no knowledge of this at all. Apparently i "wasn't supposed to know" but had been told in confidence for my own reference.

I feel violated, intruded upon, disrespected, and harassed. I am now stuck in my current position with the company and cannot move forward, and therefore am now having to seek other employment. I am still in fear I may be terminated.

Do I have an recourse? Is there any way to pursue this issue while protecting the project lead who shared the photo information with me in confidence?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

You have been accused of exercising poor judgment with a client. Apparently, you admit you exercised poor judgment and are now being called to the carpet for it. Nothing to see here folks. Move on.

swalsh411

You have no recourse at all.

You need to step back a minute and realize your employer is not a court of law. You have no right to the presumption of innocence. You have no right to present a defense. Your employer has no obligation to consider your defense. Even if your employer knows it was simply an oversight and you did not intend to offend the client, they can still legally fire you. What you should do now is apologize and promise to wear clothes that fit you better.

Last edited:

flabergasted

I'm sorry maybe I should have clarified this a little better. I fully understand decisions as to my employment status, etc, are solely an internal thing.

What I am specifically asking is about the woman who took photos, without my knowledge, and then shared them, also without my knowledge. Do I have anything against her? The photos were not taken in public they were taken in an access controlled office in an area where she and I were alone.

eerelations

We understood your question, and responded with things like "you have no expectation of privacy in a public place" and "you have no legal recourse."

While you think this access-controlled space is private, it is not private as the law defines "private." "Private" would be your home, or a washroom cubicle or dressing room.

The only way you would have legal recourse against this woman is if she was using your image to make money - by selling it, or by using it to advertise products for sale. Nothing in any of your posts indicates that she is using your image for personal profit.

justalayman

Just curious, Is walking or driving down a street considered a public place?
why yes it is.

While there are a few situations possible where while driving one's rights of privacy can be violated, the situations you asked about are generally considered to be within the public eye and as such, there are no rights of privacy.

justalayman

and at one point before leaving the hotel in the morning, my stomach poked out (I am somewhat overweight). I cannot tuck in.
You can get shirts that fit which will allow you to "tuck in".

while I see your employers reactions a bit excessive, there is nothing that prevents them from acting as they have. There is nothing improper or illegal about taking the pictures that were taken. I would suspect there is something else going on and this is simply being used as a reason for them to act some way.

why yes it is.

While there are a few situations possible where while driving one's rights of privacy can be violated, the situations you asked about are generally considered to be within the public eye and as such, there are no rights of privacy.
Good to know. So that means I can video cops out in public. :D

justalayman

absolutely.

that has been a big topic over the last year or so. Unless I am mistaken, the last two hold out states (Illinois and one back east, maybe Connecticut but not sure) have finally accepted that it is legal to record police in action while in the public eye.

Don't ignore the fact that some cops are still bullying people telling them they cannot record and even arresting in some cases but it is legal if they are in the public eye.

quincy

. . .with one BIG qualifier to what justalayman has posted.

You CANNOT videotape the police if to videotape impedes law enforcement officers when they are conducting official business. If you interfere with an investigation or an arrest or even the questioning of a suspect, you are no longer on safe legal ground.

Keep your distance and your cool, and you can generally photograph and videotape the police.

That said, even photojournalists have had their equipment confiscated and their film destroyed when they have attempted to photograph the police doing something the police prefer to have kept quiet. It is a risk photographers take.

justalayman

. . .with one BIG qualifier to what justalayman has posted.

You CANNOT videotape the police if to videotape impedes law enforcement officers when they are conducting official business. If you interfere with an investigation or an arrest or even the questioning of a suspect, you are no longer on safe legal ground.
but in that case, it is not the videotaping that is illegal but the obstruction of the police activities. The videotaping itself is no less legal. The actions or positioning associated with the videotaping is what is illegal.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
You can get shirts that fit which will allow you to "tuck in".

while I see your employers reactions a bit excessive, there is nothing that prevents them from acting as they have. There is nothing improper or illegal about taking the pictures that were taken. I would suspect there is something else going on and this is simply being used as a reason for them to act some way.
Indeed. There is one company that makes it known that they have shirts with longer tails for the larger man. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">