• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A place to lay down for pregnant employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? ---

A pregnant employee is not being permitted by mgmt to lay down during her lunch hour. It is not medically mandated that she do this, but for any who have been pregnant, you'll know that it's a welcome respite for the back and the feet/legs to get the feet up for a half hour or so.

Can she be "temporarily" covered by the federal ADA, and request use of the couch as a reasonable accommodation? What should she do?

Thanks for letting me "pick your brains!"

Last edited:

Beth3

Nope. Temporary medical conditions do not fall under the protection of the ADA.

Her employer's refusal to let her lay down on her break time is a bit unreasonable but I am not aware of any law that would compel them to do so. Management's decision certainly is the kind of thing that makes for a poor employee relations climate though.

Any reason she couldn't bring a small stool or bench and pillow from home to prop up her legs on during her break time though?

Yes, I'm sure she could try to bring in things from home to use, to help.

There is a VERY antagonistic climate between employees and mgmt. A lot of things seem to be done by mgmt just because they can, and because it will hurt/infuriate the employees.

Thank you Beth3.

Last edited:

Beth3

"Accommodations" of this sort fall under the category of people just having some empathy for one another and being kind. It's free and simple to do. But the cost of a bad employee relations climate is significant. Too bad her employer is missing the boat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">