• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please clarify this for me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

phyllialobster

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I would like to know if the following is considered as working in a "hostile work environment."

Place: Religious Institution.

Person: Not of the same denomination as the religious institution or the majority of the non-denominational employees hired there.

Position: Receptionist/Office Assistant since October 2001.

Situation: Employee states that these actions are unwarranted/unfounded and making her feel uncomfortable and unwelcome. She is told, “It’s a straightforward question” “Lighten up. We’re just joking” “You’re just being too sensitive” “That’s only how you feel” “It’s all in your mind” “Are you paranoid?”

A 'few' of the situations are:

1. Only she is questioned daily as to why she comes in early/stays late. Other employees will eat lunch together or whenever they choose, but she ends up eating lunch by herself, because she is needed “to watch the phones so that we have phone coverage while the others go out to lunch.”

2. Employees are allowed to actually thumb their noses, give the finger, make kicking/karate motions, accuse her of stealing/going through their mail/faxes, and is mocked while she is talking on the phone. She has been made fun of by the entire staff if they think she mispronounces the last name of a congregant and is forced to repeat the name until they feel she gets it right, while her own last name is mispronounced/misspelled by the staff/congregants. Someone even made the comment that “Someone should slap you” twice while a slapping motion was made to her face.

3. She is constantly monitored while sorting the mail, ordering supplies, counting money, taking care of the lost & found items, talking on the phone, greeting the congregants, where she parks her car (even as to what she has in her car), what she is carrying in her bag/purse, why she reads her Bible/puzzle books, why she has a name open on her Rolodex, why she has someone’s name written down, etc.

4. Other employees claim that they are overworked. She asks for more work duties so she can help out and feel more involved with the events that are going on. Instead, they state that they will do their own work. Comments are made to make it look as if she is incapable of handling even the simplest of tasks and are told to her in a first grade teachers sing song voice. “If you don’t want to do it/If you’re too busy, I’ll do it” “You get too overwhelmed when you have too much to do” “You’ll get too confused.” This causes her workload to be reduced constantly and others to grow.

She was literally told that she was “going to be watched” and “I don’t know how long your job is going to last” by the Maintenance Director. He even goes out of his way as if he’s wants to catch her stealing or in a lie. The other employees/staff also react in a similar manner that makes her look like she’s a thief or just plain stupid.

What’s so funny is that she was given a $3000 raise and is ‘praised’ as being a good employee, but yet these ‘funny’ comments are nonstop. More so than the praises. Jokes are made between the others, but not as extreme as the ones that are made to her.

She has been documenting these actions, but what can that prove if they deny doing anything wrong? What if she wants to go to another job and this is all that is remembered about her?

P

phillylit

If she feels that these comments interfere with her work ability and takes offense to them, I would consider that a Hostile work environment. Anytime she feels her job is threatened for no reasonable reason while others poke fun at her and no one tries to stop it, I would call that a Hostile work envronment. Her best bet would to report her complaint to the HR reps in the office. They will make an investagation and hopefully stop the harassers.

P

phyllialobster

The HR reps would include the entire senior staff: Executive Director and the Clergy who join in on the "humor."

When she presents her concerns to them, she is told, "That's not how we see it" or "We'll discuss it later," but the issue is never really followed up with unless it is to accomodate the other employees.

They are allowed to say to her, "We'll do the job ourselves if you don't want to do it" or "Why can't we get someone else to do this job instead" and are only made so that it looks like she is refusing or incapable of doing the job asked of her.

She was hired through a temp agency and remembers her agent saying something about the Executive Director's behavior and to ignore anything that she says because she is "under pressure from the board." Recently, when she spoke with the same agent, she asked if other people had similar situations. She just wanted to see if this was an isolated incident or if others were subjected to this kind of treatment. This agent now claims that if there were any problems, the agency would not be able to disclose any information about their client to her.

Jobs are scarce now and she has no choice but to stay there and live with it.

P

phillylit

This may qualify more under dicrimination by religion. You can contact the Il dept. of Human Rights (James R. Thompson Center) and they will have some more insight for you. The number is 312-814-1432. And here is another number that reffers you to legal agencies 312-629-6945. I definately wouldn't let this go un noticed.

S

Sinsaint26

Before you take Phillylit's advice you may want to ask your friend exactly what comments are being made. If they are just poking fun at her for wearing a certain dress or not being social (where I work if you are quiet, people make fun of you by calling you snobby or stuck-up) this is not harassment. An office full of jokers isn't harassment. The only way this could be a hostile work environment is if the banter is based on her religious beliefs. From what I'm reading they aren't doing that. Asking why she does cross word puzzles or why her rolodex is on a certain persons name is not harassment. She even received a raise which is going to make it harder still to prove that she is being singled out because of her religion. I think if your friend is not happy she should look for another job.

Another part of proving a hostile work environment is to prove no normal person could work under the conditions she was subjected to. They are not so outrageous as to make a normal person incapable of doing their job. Most people could work under these conditions.

P

phyllialobster

Does it have to be verbally said that the employer might have a preference of wanting someone from their same or a similar religion to do the job in order for it to be considered hostile/discrimination? There is that old saying about actions speaking louder than words.

More than likely, with her job duties dwindling, they can claim the excuse of not having enough work for her, let her go and then hire someone else that they prefer.

One time, she went out to lunch and when she came back they had a volunteer (a friend of the daughter of another employee) doing her job. This volunteer was the same religion as the employers. Instead of coming back and expecting that she could be doing her normal duties, she ended up doing something else just so the employer could keep that volunteer at her desk. She was made to feel as if she said anything, she wasn't being a good sport.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I am not condoning the behavior of the employees or of the church for failing to deal with it, before you start down the religious discrimination path you might want to consider the fact that legally, churches and other religious organizations ARE allowed to discriminate on the basis of religion.

That doesn't mean I think they should be allowed to treat her badly. But it means it may be harder to build a religious discrimination case.

P

phyllialobster

Thank you for all of the advice given so far. I guess I am seeing her situation in a different light than others would see it.

For me, it's understandable to want someone of the same religion for counseling purposes, spiritual guidance, etc. because the job actually requires that you be of that religion. ie. clergy.

But if the job doesn't require a specific religious background (answering telephones, filing, sorting mail, typing letters, etc.) and that person is let go, only for them to turn around and hire someone else who does have the same religious background, would that still be acceptable behavior?

Why not just state in the first place before hiring someone that it would be easier if they had someone from the same religion doing the job?

She's not a litigious type of person, but she just wants to know that she has job security in a downsizing economy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Phyllia, please understand again that I am in no way condoning the behavior that she is being forced to put up with.

That being said, in the current economy NO ONE can be assured of job security. None of the behavior she is being subjected to is illegal in and of itself, and since we are looking at a religious organization it is questionable (I do not say impossible) that she would be able to sustain a religious discrimination suit. All they would have to do is point to ONE other person who is not of the same religion who is not treated this way, and her case goes out the window. It is not illegal for her to be badly treated if they just don't like her.

And what does she think would happen if she did file a suit? Does she think that all of a sudden everything will get better? I don't think so. I think that instead of teasing her, everyone will be angry with her. Will that be any better?

Quite honestly, even in such a bad job market, I truly believe that her best bet is to contact the temp agency that placed her and ask them to start looking for something else for her.

One thing she might want to try is to contact the state discrimination board (anonymously); describe to them what is happening and ask whether they think a religious discrimination suit will fly. If they think so, then she'll have to decide if she thinks that will make it better or worse.

I think it is disgraceful that she is being subjected to this and I am even more horrifed that a religous organization is permitting it to continue. But I believe that her options are limited.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I neglected to include this...

There is a strong possibility that the reason from this behavior stems not from her religion, but simply from the fact that they've discovered that she'll react. Some bullies harass (dictionary, not legal sense) their victims from the sheer joy of pushing their buttons. If that's the case, the WORST thing she could do is to file any kind of complaint, and the best thing she could do would be to totally ignore it. Tell her to try completely not reacting for a few weeks. It may stop if they find they can't get her to react any more. If it doesn't, she can think about a formal complaint of some sort then.

P

phyllialobster

Thanks for all the advice. Things will get better!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:) :D ;) :p :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">