• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lizshrt

What is the name of your state? Pa

I work for a large company with about 20+ doctors. The doctor that I am currently with is leaving the state due to the current crisis in Pa. I am a full time employee and a full time student. For the past year I have attended class on Tues and Thurs. The company notified me that they will continue my employment on the basis that: I will no longer be able to go to school during work hours and they have cut my hours down by 10hrs. I have asked not to have my hours cut and asked for any additional hours to maintain my 80 hour status but they refuse to give me any. Is this legal to stop me from attending school when they have allowed me to over the past year? Do they have the right to continually cut my hours but allow other employees with less senority to work them?

H

hmmbrdzz

lizshrt said:
What is the name of your state? Pa

I work for a large company with about 20+ doctors. The doctor that I am currently with is leaving the state due to the current crisis in Pa. I am a full time employee and a full time student. For the past year I have attended class on Tues and Thurs. The company notified me that they will continue my employment on the basis that: I will no longer be able to go to school during work hours and they have cut my hours down by 10hrs. I have asked not to have my hours cut and asked for any additional hours to maintain my 80 hour status but they refuse to give me any. Is this legal to stop me from attending school when they have allowed me to over the past year? Do they have the right to continually cut my hours but allow other employees with less senority to work them?
My response: They can ask that you be available for work, and if that means stopping school, they can specifically ask you to do that. If you have to stop school to provide work hours for them consistent with their work schedule, then it's a matter of your either doing it or not doing it (and if you don't -- take their probable termination of you). And yes, they have a right to cut your hours over employees with less senority. Were you working 80 hours per two weeks? And are you saying they cut your hours to 10 hours per two weeks?

Regardless, if you're beginning to see "problems" after this MD has left to go to PA, I would not dispute their requests any longer but would start trying to leave on good terms if possible. Find a job where you can go to school and work, too, BUT understand that work will come first. How about nighttime school?

hmmbrdzz

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To be frank, your schooling is not their problem. Scheduling is. Just because they have previously been able to adjust scheduling around your school hours does not obligate them to continue to do so. They are permitted to schedule you as business needs permit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">