• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisadeleuze

What is the name of your state? pennsylvania:mad: :mad: i am currently working for a hotel in pa, i have been with the property since it has opened 1 1/2 years and i have been with the company longer than anyone else in my department and i have been told several times that i am going to be promoted, my husband and i got pregnant and they stopped telling me i was going to be promoted and every promotion i applied for iwas told they needed someone that they were sure was going to be around to fulfill the duties,(not me because i was going to be off having a baby) well right around the time i was going on maternity leave the job i was promised became available and there were two openings, iwas told they were going to give it to someone else if i was planning a full maternity leave and i was pressured in to coming back to work 1 week after i delivered. i came back part time at first then i was told i could not have the position until i came back to work full time so with in 4 weeks i did. when i came back to work the money was no longer in the budget for the second position and they gave the one to a team member who did not have children because they felt she was able to be more dedicated to her job. eventualy that team member quit and i asked again about the promotion and was told soon so i got sick of being mistreated and i spoke with the assistant in my department and told her that i was bothered by the fact that i was not advancing in the company being as i have been here longer than most of the managers and longer than about 99% of the team members and i was thinking of looking at other jobs. i was written up for insubordination and they threatened to fire me for looking for better jobs please someone tell me if they are leagally able to treat me this way in addition to this while i was pregnant i was not permitted to take a lunch break because no one could fill in for me and now they are passing out disciplinary forms if you dont have time to take a break

Beth3

1. Yes, they can discipline you for complaining to your co-workers or subordinates about the company.

2. You aren't entitled to special treatment because you're pregnant so if nobody else got to take breaks or you would have been denied a break regardless of your pregnancy, that is legal.

3. They cannot fail to promote you BECAUSE you were pregnant and/or took FMLA leave. On this issue, it sounds like you may have a case. You can speak to an employment law attorney and/or file a claim with the EEOC for pregnancy discrimination and with the federal DOL for retalliation for taking FMLA.

L

lisadeleuze

my queston regarding the break issue is if you work an 8 hour shift is it the law that you are required to take a half hour lunch because my employer claims it is state law when ever they feel like giving you time for a break but if they dont want to be bothered you are not permitted to take one

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">