• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Please help. I cant take this anymore.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BurnKero

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello everyone, I am from Rhode Island.

I work for a private management comany for 6 years now. I am a member of a local trade union.

I am being singled out amidst approximately 20 workers for not wearing proper uniform. My boss is the leader of this movement. My boss is also out of uniform as well as 2 of my co-workers, to this he turns a blind eye..

Let me say that again. In a crew of 5. I wear a personal jacket to work which is deemed out of uniform. 2 coworkers do the same, they are also out of uniform. My boss is out of uniform as well.

I work in a complex of 2 buildings. The uniform policy applied to both, uniformly (no pun intended)

I work in one building 90% of the time. Its my home. In this building there are dozens of employees out of uniform, to a much greater degree than I.

My point is this. I realize I am out of uniform. Being out of uniform in this complex is common place. Nothing is ever done about it, except in this instance where my boss is trying to pass off a personal issue as professional.

I am a 33 year old biracial man in a crew of white middle aged guys. I have had my fair share of racial comments from my boss, I have no evidence to show for this so I dont pursue it but figured it relevant to share. My boss has been very unfair to me over the past 6 years and I will not put up with it anymore!!

If he wants to take action against me for being out of uniform then I DEMAND he take action on the other 2 in our crew. Furthermore, I DEMAND this issue be addressed in general not arbitrarilly at my boss' convenience. This is totally insulting and degrading.

Please help, thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello everyone, I am from Rhode Island.

I work for a private management comany for 6 years now. I am a member of a local trade union.

I am being singled out amidst approximately 20 workers for not wearing proper uniform. My boss is the leader of this movement. My boss is also out of uniform as well as 2 of my co-workers, to this he turns a blind eye..

Let me say that again. In a crew of 5. I wear a personal jacket to work which is deemed out of uniform. 2 coworkers do the same, they are also out of uniform. My boss is out of uniform as well.

I work in a complex of 2 buildings. The uniform policy applied to both, uniformly (no pun intended)

I work in one building 90% of the time. Its my home. In this building there are dozens of employees out of uniform, to a much greater degree than I.

My point is this. I realize I am out of uniform. Being out of uniform in this complex is common place. Nothing is ever done about it, except in this instance where my boss is trying to pass off a personal issue as professional.

I am a 33 year old biracial man in a crew of white middle aged guys. I have had my fair share of racial comments from my boss, I have no evidence to show for this so I dont pursue it but figured it relevant to share. My boss has been very unfair to me over the past 6 years and I will not put up with it anymore!!

If he wants to take action against me for being out of uniform then I DEMAND he take action on the other 2 in our crew. Furthermore, I DEMAND this issue be addressed in general not arbitrarilly at my boss' convenience. This is totally insulting and degrading.

Please help, thanks.
Speak to your union rep.

Beyond that, why do you think you can DEMAND that action be taken against the other parties? Why do you think that are entitled to be informed of actions taken against them in the first place?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Speak to your union rep.

Beyond that, why do you think you can DEMAND that action be taken against the other parties? Why do you think that are entitled to be informed of actions taken against them in the first place?
Because this is racial discrimination and it isn't fair! Come on Zig, don't you see that? ;)

tranquility

Such a demand could be considered insubordinate and you could lose your job and might risk not getting unemployment. I suggest you don't make such a demand.

If the disparate treatment is because of race, that is a violation of your civil rights. If the disparate treatment is because of derpitude, that is perfectly OK. The mere fact you are another race from others being treated differently (Especially in such a small organization.) is insufficient to prove up the action is because of your race.

BurnKero

Are you guys seriously making a joke of this?? Really??

I am being racially discriminated against! I would have to record every hour of everyday to prove it.

As far as the uniform goes.. Are you telling me that my company can have 20 people breaking policy and of those 20, choose to dicipline just one of them? Without taking action against the whole? If 20 ppl punch in late evryday they can choose to take action against just one and ignore the rest? Don't I have a right to ask that equal disiplinary action be taken against all in violation? I don't care if I loose my job at this point.

Zigner

What "right" do you think you have to demand that the employer treat others the same as you?

Based on the "tone" of your post(s), I think you are upset about being forced to follow the rules when others aren't. This has nothing to do with race. Just my opinion.

tranquility

I am being racially discriminated against! I would have to record every hour of everyday to prove it.

As far as the uniform goes.. Are you telling me that my company can have 20 people breaking policy and of those 20, choose to dicipline just one of them? Without taking action against the whole? If 20 ppl punch in late evryday they can choose to take action against just one and ignore the rest? Don't I have a right to ask that equal disiplinary action be taken against all in violation? I don't care if I loose my job at this point.
If your are being subject to disparate treatment because of your race, that is a violation of your civil rights. See an attorney for assistance on how to prove it as it can be technical. But, if the disparate treatment is for a non-prohibited reason, even if solely because they don't like you personally or you drive a foreign car or just plain old bad luck, that is perfectly OK. They do not have to treat everyone the same.

BurnKero

Yes I am angry! I don't see the significance of ranting so I won't, but I have most certainly been subject to derogatory treatment. My boss didnt take issue with wearing a non-company shirt until I started wearing one. He had no problem with co-workers wearing personal jackets in until he saw me. NOW it's an issue, a personal issue that he will make a professional one.

Look, I know this is trivial in the grand scope of things. I know there are guys in my union that would kill to have my job, Guys who have been out of work for over 3 years now.But I simply can't let this go anymore, I can't continue to grin and bear it, I just can't. I would rather starve.

Zigner

Yes I am angry! I don't see the significance of ranting so I won't, but I have most certainly been subject to derogatory treatment. My boss didnt take issue with wearing a non-company shirt until I started wearing one. He had no problem with co-workers wearing personal jackets in until he saw me. NOW it's an issue, a personal issue that he will make a professional one.

Look, I know this is trivial in the grand scope of things. I know there are guys in my union that would kill to have my job, Guys who have been out of work for over 3 years now.But I simply can't let this go anymore, I can't continue to grin and bear it, I just can't. I would rather starve.
Okey Dokey.

Silverplum

Regarding the bolded: Yes.

Silverplum

Well, I s'pose you'll starve, then.

tranquility

You CAN let it go. At the very least, wait a while. Seek an attorney if you really believe it is because of racial discrimination and you think you can prove it. But, even then, wait.

You would far prefer to not do something in haste. What's the saying? "Act in haste, repent in leisure." You don't want to be at your desk at home with a pile of bills with your head in your hands wishing you had done differently. Believe me.

OHRoadwarrior

So what did your union rep say? Your Business Agent? You don't jump from "You can't wear that jacket" to lawsuit lottery winner, in one step. What does your contract say about uniforms?

Just Blue

Might I ask why it is so important for you to wear a "non-company shirt and jacket"? Is this a "hill you want to die on"?

Look, I know this is trivial in the grand scope of things. I know there are guys in my union that would kill to have my job, Guys who have been out of work for over 3 years now.But I simply can't let this go anymore, I can't continue to grin and bear it, I just can't. I would rather starve
Really? You would rather starve? Do you suffer from an...illness...?Or are you being a tad drama Queen/King?:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">