• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Discrimination????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

External23

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I have been at a company for 5 years. I was told during my second year that we would be receiving reviews every 6 months that would set the standard to how much of a raise we would receive and how we can improve, or how good of a job we are doing. I received one review within a year and got the best marks that you could get, it left no room for improvement. When it was time for my third review, remember, my second one was skipped, they changed the policy to every year and I have never received another review after that. I have been on them every month about it and I get the same thin, it is in the works. It has now been over two years and nothing has been done.
Other employees in other departments have had there reviews done on a timely manner and have been receiving pay increases.
I have spoken to my manager and superviser both, nothing has been resolved. Today, I turned in my notice and now I was told by my supervisor that he was almost done with my review. Of course, he could not let me see it. It was a lie.

The same supervisor has been on me weekly about being late from lunch. I punch a time clock and so do my friends that work with me in the same deparment. One of them I go to lunch with about everyday. Two weeks ago I was lectured about coming in late from lunch 3 days out of 10, to my surprise, my friend that works with me was also late the same days and nothing was said to him. This has happened before. I had the receptionist tell me what times my supervisor left for lunch and returned from lunch for two weeks straight. Out of 10 days, my supervisor was late every single time, and in some cases over 15 minutes. He does not punch a clock, but is on salary.

Oh, not too mention, they have about 80-90 employees that are all white males and females. They will not hire hispanics, blacks or any other race besides whites. Many other races have applied for positions but are always turned down. What can be done about this?

E-mail me if you wish.

Thanks,
External

Is there anything that I can do about this?

Last edited:

L

louiebingo

This will teach you never agin to be in debt to the boss.

You didnt offer to pay it back fast enough, so they made it difficult on you, and you are going to quit, so what if they take your last checks and dont pay your vacation...you damn well owe the money.

E

External23

Actually, that is why I said we signed a contract together. I was supposed to pay 200.00 a month, I actually paid 300.00 a month. I was paying it faster than the agreement. Try reading the entire message before replying to one paragraph. You did not read it correctly, so I deleted it out of the post.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There is no requirement under Federal law or the law of any state that any employee must be given a review at any time. Therefore, unless you are being singled out BECAUSE OF your race, religion, national origin, gender, age over 40, disability or pregnancy, it is not illegal for them to fail to give you a review even if other employees have been given them.

Likewise unless you are being singled out for reprimand over the late-from-lunch issue for the same reasons, it is not illegal for them to reprimand you and not your friend. It is of absolutely no consequence that your supervisor was late also since quite often, the policy for managers is different from the policy for hourly employees.

However, if no one but Caucasions are being hired and people of other races are being turned down for no reason except their race, that is blatantly illegal and a report to the EEOC and/or your state discrimination board would be in order.

I'm not understanding 2 things:

1) Why you are concerning yourself with how long your supervisor takes for lunch. It's not your business. You are the time-closk punching subordinate.

2) Why you are even thinking about "making some case" to the EEOC or anyone else if you are leaving.

Another thing I'm picking up is that you owe them money. So who are you to be trying to make a case against THEM?

E

External23

Actually, I do not owe them money. It is a machine shop that they helped start financially and I have an agreement with the owner.

I am not really trying to make a case against anyone, just getting some input on what is really legal for them to do.

I am leaving because of the way they treat the employees. Women that work with men doing the same job make about 4.00 less an hour and are treated like crap. Since there are no other race besides whites, they do not have a problem there.
I once overheard a conversation going on about layoffs and one person stated, hey we do not have any minorities to worry about and everyone else that is 40 and under we can have at it.

They have put stress on individuals to force them to quit so they will not have to pay unemployment. Even though some of those individuals got it anyway because they said that they were improperly trained and they are correct. No one in the building knows much about our new computer system. Our supervisors and managers can't even operate on the same level as the employees anymore because they do not understand how we do our jobs now. It is crazy.

Whatever happens, happens.

Thanks for the input.

Later,
External23

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If women are being paid less BECAUSE of their gender, that is a violation of the Equal Pay Act.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">