• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Possible Discrimination Case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blanther

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am from Ohio and I was recently offered a job in Tennessee. However, during my background check a speeding ticket I received in 2012 showed up as a minor misdemeanor. All speeding tickets are recorded as a minor misdemeanors in Ohio. My speeding ticket was not for reckless driving or anything it was just a basic speeding ticket. The offered position has nothing to do with driving. I find it hard to believe that nobody at a company with 62000 employees has ever gotten a speeding ticket. I feel I am being unjustly discriminated against simply because my ticket was issued in Ohio and not another state where speeding is classified as a traffic violation. Am I right in thinking that is discrimination? Is it possible i have a case?

ecmst12

It may be discrimination, but it's not illegal discrimination. "People who have received speeding tickets" is not a protected class.

blanther

Okay, maybe not discrimination, but if two employees both have a speeding ticket and one is let go because theirs was issued in a certain state doesn't have any grounds for a case?

Proserpina

Okay, maybe not discrimination, but if two employees both have a speeding ticket and one is let go because theirs was issued in a certain state doesn't have any grounds for a case?

That apparently isn't the situation here though.

You were never an employee.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
but if two employees both have a speeding ticket and one is let go because theirs was issued in a certain state doesn't have any grounds for a case?

No. "People whose speeding ticket was issued in a certain state" is not a characteristic protected by law. Therefore EVEN IF YOU WERE IN THAT SITUATION which you are not, it would not be grounds for any kind of "case" except one to receive unemployment.

"Geographic discrimination" is legal. They are completely free to refuse to hire you because your speeding ticket was issued in Ohio. You have no grounds for any kind of legal action. At all. Period. Even if.

Is that now perfectly clear to you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">