• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy Question - Missouri

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kachandler

I'm trying to find out if this is legal. I'm unable to get FMLA due to my due date is July 29th and my year with the company is August 5th. When I talked with HR she state that if for some reason I had to take leave earlier than the week of my due date or so I would be voluntary let go (but could be rehired after the birth). I found out today I will be out of work starting the beginning of July, because of some complications. Pretty much I'm being let go because of the pregnancy if i'm understanding HR right. Does this sound legal??

Thanks

ecmst12

Unless you can prove that a NON-pregnant employee with a temporary disability was treated differently if they became unable to work prior to FMLA eligibility, they have done nothing wrong. Outside of FMLA, they are not required to hold your job for you if you are unable to work due to illness (including pregnancy complications) or childbirth.

Beth3

Does this sound legal?? Perfectly legal, unless the company has a precedent of providing similarly situated employees medical leaves of absence (presumably for 6 or more weeks) for reasons other than pregnancy. Your employer doesn't have to provide you with special "benefits" because you are pregnant - they just can't treat you less favorably because you are pregnant.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">