• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Prescription medication use in the workplace

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CAWorker06

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,
Can an employer send an employee home without pay for having taken certain prescribed medications (ADDED: and being under the effects of said drug while on shift)? My workplace has an apparently new or newly enforced policy that employees that take certain prescribed medications, including but not limited to narcotic pain relievers, will be sent home if they are under the influence of the medication on the job site. My workplace is a warehouse, and many of the job functions are often physically demanding (IE lifting and moving heavy objects). I believe the rationale is that accidents could have been prevented had the employee not been under the effects of the drug.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are some questions that really don't need to be asked.

So, is it your position that an employer should not be allowed to send home an employee that is too groggy, or otherwise doped up to do their job?

ecmst12

In fact if the employer knew said employee was doped up and did NOT send him home, the employer could be liable for any accident which followed.

moburkes

I'm also trying to figure out what the issue is on this one. I'd sure as hell send my employee home if he worked in a "dangerous" situation whereby which the side effects of the NARCOTICS:eek: could harm him, me, or someone else. As far as the without pay comment, if you've got vacation or sick time available, then it should be used.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">