• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Promoted then not? Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

angelee75

What is the name of your state? California

I have been employed by a major retail company for two years. One year ago, I was offered a manager-in-training (MIT) position in the store where I was a sales associate. I took the promotion and began my training. A few days later, I found out I was pregnant, and the store manager told me I could no longer be an MIT due to the fact that my situation would inhibit my performance. I called HR, there was a huge investigation, and I was restored to my MIT position quickly. I decided to remain in my store and train until the baby was born, so it was agreed that I would be placed as a merchandise manager when I returned in April.

However, there was a major change in upper management just before my baby was born. When all settled, I was pulled into the store manager's office and told that MIT positions no longer exist and I was just out of luck. I had been managing in that store for 8 months and paid the regular associate pay. Now they tell me I never was in a program?! I let it go for a few months and am looking for other employment. However, there are now 3 new MIT's in the store I work in, but for me, there is no program. I feel very wronged by this, and I have approached the upper management staff including the District manager, but I am being avoided and given the run around.

I feel I deserve the management pay for the work I did for the past year and I deserve the promotion I trained for all those months. There is a note on my file that states my training was complete in January. Am I entitled to my promotion and/or pay for the past year in that position?
Please help!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">