• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit My Job - Sexual Harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NoMoreFedUp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MS

Here is a run-down of what went on. This is exactly what I put on the complaint I filed with EEOC. I completed that online a few minutes ago. I am editing the vulgar words here, but I stated exactly what was said to me in my EEOC complaint. Was that the right thing to do?

This location has 26 employees. I was the only female, working with 25 men.

On or about 6-1-2008, several of the mechanics in the shop began sexually harrassing me. When I would walk by, they would make sexual remarks to me, such as, "Shake that ass."

I was approached by 1 of them and asked if my breasts were real or fake, and told that they had a betting pool going.

Numerous times as I walked by, several of them would pump their pelvic region at me, imitating sex, and say, "You know you want this d**k."

I was asked if I had ever been donkey punched. I indicated that I didn't know what that was, and was told, "It's when a guy is f**king a girl doggy style, and he punches her in the back of the head."

I was asked numerous times to pull up my shirt and show them "my nice titties."

I was told numerous times "I bet you know how to work that ass in bed."

I was asked if "I had ever seen an 11 inch d**k, and did I want to."

I was asked if I had had sex with my husband the night before. I was asked if I "ever suck my husband's d**k." I was asked if I "shave my pu**y." I was told that "they could f**k me better than my husband could."

Rumors were started that I was sleeping with several of my co-workers, which was not true. I was asked about it repeatedly, in comments such as "How does Jeff's d**k taste?" And "Is Jeff a good f**k?"

Everytime something sexually harrassing was said to me, I told the offender not to talk to me that way.

After I initially reported this behavior to my immediate supervisor in July 2008, my hours were cut in half. My hours were reduced from 40 hours per week to 20 hours per week.

My supervisor told me that he would take care of the harrassment. For about a week, I was not harrassed, but then the same things started being said again. I reported this behavior to my supervisor 3 times total, and it was never stopped. I quit my job on 10-27-08, as it had become a hostile workplace, and I was not comfortable with the treatment I was receiving.

I have submitted this to the EEOC. What happens next?

Is this sexual harassment? If so, what are my options after I report it to the EEOC?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I would call it sexual harassment, yes.

The EEOC will investigate. They may or may not suggest mediation. If things are not settled during mediation, ultimately you will probably receive a right to sue letter. You will have 90 days from when you receive the RTS letter to file suit.

It will not be settled quickly. Don't expect a resolution inside of six months. It may be longer.

However, it would not be unreasonable for you to be looking for legal representation now.

NoMoreFedUp

So if I get a letter for Right to Sue, I know I need to contact an attorney.

How do I prove damages? Can I claim economic damages since I had to quit my job because of this?

What about emotional distress?

How does all that work?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You would be much better served by finding an attorney and asking these questions of him/her. S/he can get details of the case that we do not have access to that will help with the specifics.

You do not have to wait for the RTS letter to get an attorney; in fact, it would be worth your while to find one now because when the RTS is issued, you only have 90 days to file suit. It would be well to have the attorney on board and be ready to go.

NoMoreFedUp

Update and Thank You

Hello. I wanted to come back and update everyone and say thank you.

The EEOC investigated my complaint from 11/2008 until 2/2009. They issued me a letter of right to sue on 2/17/09.

I retained an attorney (on contigency basis) and he filed a complaint in district court today.

In the complaint, he is asking for damages of $5.6 million, which is insane. $5 million of that is punative. $100,000 is actual damages (loss of income, interest, and emoluments.) I should have asked him, but does emoluments mean?

$500,000 is compensatory damages (mental anguish and stress.) And as I said $5 million is in punative.

I know that I will get no where near $5.6 million. I think he's operating under the premise of "Ask for the moon and hope to end up with at least something."

Anyways, just wanted to update and say thank you. I will update this thread again as things progress.

eerelations

Thanks for the update, and keep 'em coming. It'll be very educational for many people here to watch a real case as it progresses.

pattytx

Boy, I went back and re-read it and I missed it altogether. My apologies. :eek:

Having said that, in my 30+ years in the payroll profession, I have NEVER heard that word before. Ever.

mlane58

From Websters: "the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">