• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Race and Religion matter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kuzack

Hello,

I have been working for this company for over a year now. I have learned over time, that almost everyone that works in the company attend the same church on Sunday. I realized that I was the only minority employed by the company and also one of the few who did not share the same religion and place of worship. After the time I was hired, 2 additional employees were hired and I learned that they also attend the same church as management. My manager often pressures me to join their church resulting in a huge awkward moment. He also tends to relate common work day occurrences with religion and dwells them upon me.

On countless occasions, managers have picked on me, in regards to my intelligence, my life choices, the hair style I have, and the clothes I wear. Recently I was made very uncomfortable by remarks made about an item of clothing I was wearing, this really upset me.

I believe my advancement in this company has been hindered by my race and religion. After being with the company for a year, I requested a personal performance review in hopes of a raise. I just wanted to know what I could work on to accel in my career. I am then informed that I am required to take a test in which no other employee has every been required to or requested. I'm told that I would only be considered for a raise if I met his standards on this test. I feel this has something to do with my race and religion, as no one has ever had to go through this sort of preliminary testing for a raise, since the company was started.

There have been many incidences in which my religion has been questioned by management and pressure for me to share their religious views. I believe my choice to stay with my beliefs has caused my management to resent me as an employee, they are very condescending.

Is there anything that can be done...I dont know much about the law and really could use some advice or help.

W

Willlyjo

Hello,

I have been working for this company for over a year now. I have learned over time, that almost everyone that works in the company attend the same church on Sunday. I realized that I was the only minority employed by the company and also one of the few who did not share the same religion and place of worship. After the time I was hired, 2 additional employees were hired and I learned that they also attend the same church as management. My manager often pressures me to join their church resulting in a huge awkward moment. He also tends to relate common work day occurrences with religion and dwells them upon me.

On countless occasions, managers have picked on me, in regards to my intelligence, my life choices, the hair style I have, and the clothes I wear. Recently I was made very uncomfortable by remarks made about an item of clothing I was wearing, this really upset me.

I believe my advancement in this company has been hindered by my race and religion. After being with the company for a year, I requested a personal performance review in hopes of a raise. I just wanted to know what I could work on to accel in my career. I am then informed that I am required to take a test in which no other employee has every been required to or requested. I'm told that I would only be considered for a raise if I met his standards on this test. I feel this has something to do with my race and religion, as no one has ever had to go through this sort of preliminary testing for a raise, since the company was started.

There have been many incidences in which my religion has been questioned by management and pressure for me to share their religious views. I believe my choice to stay with my beliefs has caused my management to resent me as an employee, they are very condescending.

Is there anything that can be done...I dont know much about the law and really could use some advice or help.
If your employer is treating you adversely because you have another faith, then they would be violating your civil rights and you should seek redress with the EEOC. Such treatment of you must be profound in order for you to prevail in such action.

For instance, if others receive raises and you are the only one who doesn't and it is obvious that it is because of your faith or lack of belonging to their faith and/or you can prove you are being singled out by taking a test that nobody else had to take in order to get a raise, you may have a bonifide cause to file with the EEOC.

The fact that your employer is condescending alone or constantly approaches you to join their religion is not enough to even think about doing anything in a legal manner. From what you've posted, it is too subtle to believe the EEOC would take your situation seriously, however.

ESteele

OP, how many employees work for this employer? Is this a private sector employer? Where is the employer located? The answers to these questions matter. Depending on the size and location of the employer, the adverse conduct you describe may not be arguably unlawful.

Assuming for the sake of discussion your employer is covered under federal, state and/or local law prohibiting employment discrimination on the basis of religion and/or race, then you may want to meet with a representative of the EEOC or a FEPA and/or with a local employment law attorney to explore your options. It strikes me that if management requires you to take “a test” to be considered for a raise while providing others with raises without such a requirement, this disparate treatment could constitute actionable race and/or religion discrimination. In addition, denigration of your religious beliefs would also potentially constitute a violation of the anti-discrimination laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">