• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Racial discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

grn_eyz26

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA Ok so heres what happened. ..my boyfriend whos black took my son whos white with him to the store. Whn they got to the counter my boyfriend asks the white clerk how much the cigarettes are..the clerk said "alot"..my bf snubbed it off..he asks well how much are the newports..the*clerk says "I cant sell u cigarettes because you arent his legal guardian" mind u my boyfriend has his ID n he is the other parent in my household. ..I went down to the store n I told the clerk he owes my man n my son an apology. .which all he did was get on the phone n call the manager. ..I asked him whn ur customers ask u for a price do u always tell them "alot" oooo im so mad right now. I was curious if this is grounds for a discrimination suit

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA Ok so heres what happened. ..my boyfriend whos black took my son whos white with him to the store. Whn they got to the counter my boyfriend asks the white clerk how much the cigarettes are..the clerk said "alot"..my bf snubbed it off..he asks well how much are the newports..the*clerk says "I cant sell u cigarettes because you arent his legal guardian" mind u my boyfriend has his ID n he is the other parent in my household. ..I went down to the store n I told the clerk he owes my man n my son an apology. .which all he did was get on the phone n call the manager. ..I asked him whn ur customers ask u for a price do u always tell them "alot" oooo im so mad right now. I was curious if this is grounds for a discrimination suit
Yes, definitely worth bazillions and bazillions of dollars! :rolleyes:

(In case it's lost you, that was sarcasm.)

sandyclaus

While it may be discrimination, it doesn't sound like ILLEGAL discrimination.

You say that your boyfriend is supposed to be the other parent "in your household". What I didn't hear you say is that he is your SON'S other parent. (And if he isn't your son's natural father, he is most definitely NOT your son's other parent, no matter what you say.)

Mind you, it is ILLEGAL to sell tobacco products to a minor, and it is also ILLEGAL to provide or furnish tobacco products to a minor - whether you are a retailer OR a parent. Sounds to me like this clerk may have had reason to suspect that your boyfriend was buying these cigarettes to give to your son. They weren't going to facilitate him breaking the law like that.

No, you DIDN'T win the lawsuit lottery here. Perhaps you want to reconsider allowing your child to smoke and stop colluding with your boyfriend to provide him with the cigarettes.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And what's more, unless there are facts you've neglected to share with us, your bf ISN'T your son's legal guardian. There are no court papers naming him so, correct?

So no, this does not sound like a case of racial discrimination; this sounds like a clerk who does not want to break the law about selling cigarettes to minors.

Certainly it is not enough to support a lawsuit, if that's what you had in mind.

ecmst12

I don't think the bf is a minor. And I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to sell cigarettes to an adult just because they are with a child (even though it's setting a bad example and probably means they are going to expose the child to secondhand smoke).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Which does not change the fact that the clerk has no legal obligation to sell cigarettes to anyone.

OHRoadwarrior

CA Penal Code Section 308 prohibits clerks from in any way knowingly facilitating the transfer of tobacco products to minors. Is it discrimination certainly. Is it illegal discrimination not even close. Consider yourself lucky clerk did not write down information and supply it to authorities.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">