• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

racial and gender disrcrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

slwshington

What is the name of your state? il
I have worked for this national restaurant chain for 4 years. I am an african american female who has been in this industry for 17 years, on a professional level.My supervisor is a problem for me. i have been harassed for three of the four years. my file vs any other employee would prove that point. because of his treatment of the four other african-american employees(who have all been terminated), i believe there is some prejudice there. I originally applied for a manager position over three years ago, and found out a year later that my boss had never submitted it. The postiion was then offered to three less qualified white males. Once I found out about the situation, a position opened up for me and I was given the position, which was to lead to management position once i had proven myself.I was told then by a member of the management team that my supervisor did not want me to have a position because of my color if had any problems with me, it would be too hard to fire me. this was almost two years ago and since then have gone above and beyond proving that i am capable of doing the position. I perform the position now without the pay or benefits and the story that there is no position for me, without his stamp of approval. He has always made it clear that my career would progress nowhere without it. Recently I was told otherwise, by a member of upper management that a position was always available. There are many things he has said to me that I believe are illegal and threatening. There are many more things he has done to show his prejudice. I recently suffered a breakdown because of the stress and threats that I received from him and quit my job based on the advice of my doctor. Is there any thing that I can do. I feel as If my career was hindered and now my financial situation as well because of the accumulation of the treatment I received. I don't believe that upper management really cares because this particular restaurant is one of their most profitable. They don't visit often. The ceo has never been there because the numbers say that everything is running just fine, but it all runs on scare tactics.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you believe that you are being discriminated against because of your race, you may file a complaint with the EEOC and/or your state discrimination board.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">