• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it really "illegal" for me to view video footage of myself at work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kathleen D

My supervisor put her hands on me in anger. At first, the investigator said the video footage doesn't support my claim, and when I insisted on seeing it she said that its against the law.
After going around in circles for a long time, the investigator finally admitted that what I say happened may have, however, the angle of the camera doesn't allow a clear view. It does show her grabbing me, but what came next can't be seen because it's a side view; you would have to have a view from the front. Naturally, I requested additional footage from the front, but according to the investigator there is none. My supervisor denies it, case closed. I know what happened, and I believe that the footage they have is sufficient. Is it really illegal for me to view the footage?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, it's not. But you don't have a right under the law to see it, either. It is 100% up to the company/investigator whether to allow you to see it or not.

commentator

What is all this accomplishing? Are you protesting a write up, did you file a complaint against your supervisor that you are attempting to pursue, what is going on? All we can tell people is that if your supervisor actually attacks you physically, you should call the police and press charges against them. If this is something you are only reporting internally, there is no legal or illegal to it. They can pretty much handle it any way they choose to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">