• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reasonable Acccommodation Timeline

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

monab1

What is the name of your state? MO

Background info in ADA Monkeyshines post. I have arthritis in a reconstructed hip. In short, qualified disability by SSA, returned to work, declaired disability on hire, accommodated "off the record" with one supervisor, new supervisor took three months to deny accommondation request without comment. They received initial medical documentation last Sept.

Escalated request. Medical documentation not spedfic enough although did indicate arthritis and minimize walking as much as possible. They suggested intermittant FMLA request for process. Filed for FMLA, entirely different group, same response to medical documentation.

The issue for me is pain managment. The handicapped parking they provided was two blocks away from my desk. The position is considered sedentary.

It appears they intend to drag this on indefinitely and never reach an accommodation. I've been led to believe that if I quit as opposed to being fired I do not have a case with the EEOC.

Is this correct?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not necessarily. If you quit because of the lack of an accomodation, or because the accomodations provided are not working, it should not interfer with your right to file a claim.

What accomodations do you think they should provide?

M

monab1

Requested Accommodation

My initial request was for telecommuting one day per week. It's what I had done off the record under my previous supervisor.

That request was denied. It's probably worth noting it's a major telecom and I sat in conference calls day in and out with members of other groups working from home. I believe it was a "power play" of my group's managment to deny all telecommuting within our group. Or perhaps he just doesn't like me. There's no law against that. However, I find it interesting that shortly thereafter a note was sent around saying telecommuting was ok as long as one was in the office at some point during the day which of course doesn't help me at all.

Anyway, the reason I was given was "business necessity" and so the exploration of other accommodations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">