• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recording a Conversation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lady_guienevere

What is the name of your state? Alabama.

I want to record some conversations of what our boss is saying. Mainly its the fact of verbal abuse. But do I have to tell him that I am recording the conversations or can I just sit a recorder in my desk or let my compuer record it?

Because its a CEOs ,who has been in the business for 9 years , words against a handful of office workers. We have reported this problem. But now are thinking of a verbal abuse law suit. But we would like proof, not just our words.

Beth3

Alabama only requires one party's consent to lawfully record a conversation however that does NOT mean that you may tape conversations without management's permission in the workplace. In fact, they could fire you instantly if they object to your doing that - and I expect the boss and quite possibly the CEO would be most unhappy about any employee taping conversations at work. Same goes for using "your computer" to record it. It's not your computer, it's the company's computer.

But now are thinking of a verbal abuse law suit. There's no such thing. Some States recognize a cause for intentional infliction of emotional distress. Whether the situation you're in rises to that level, assuming your State recognizes such causes, is something you will need to discuss with a local attorney.

verbal abuse is bullying. Check on if there are any laws about workplace bullying. Or hostile environment. I know in the UK they take it seriously. but then that is not here.

Another concern that is of issue in your situation, to me, is that, this abusive behavior is causing damage to the business as a whole, not to just the employees who are being directly abused. You say its a CEO doing it? if that means there are share holders then they are being harmed as well. I would believe they would want to know about such activities that is compromising the business. An unhappy business looses profit

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
verbal abuse is bullying. Check on if there are any laws about workplace bullying. Or hostile environment. I know in the UK they take it seriously. but then that is not here.

Another concern that is of issue in your situation, to me, is that, this abusive behavior is causing damage to the business as a whole, not to just the employees who are being directly abused. You say its a CEO doing it? if that means there are share holders then they are being harmed as well. I would believe they would want to know about such activities that is compromising the business. An unhappy business looses profit
This thread is almost 9 years old. Please don't necropost.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And learn the definition of a hostile work environment in the time you save by not posting to 9 year old threads. It's not what you think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">