• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is a recovering alcoholic considered to have a physical disability?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Stumper

wisconsin

i was employed by a consulting company. for the first three years on an assignment i received exemplary reviews from the client and they reported that my performance was above average and exceeding expectations. the next assignment was for a very difficult client and they were reporting that my performance was below average. that contract was for only two months and at the end of that time they decided not to extend me.

prior to the end of the contract i had a discussion with my employer to inform them that i was working to the best of my ability and even better than i had in the past three years because i am a recovering alcoholic and will be celebrating my sixth month of sobriety soon.

when the contract ended they terminated my employment the next day and cited "performance-related issues" as the reason. other employees have been retained after a contract has ended until another has been found, but i was not. in the three years with this employer i never had any time off between assignments.

i suspect that my admission of being a recovering alcoholic was a factor and asked that question when informed about my termination but they obviously denied that was the reason.

am i considered to have a physical disability and entitled to protection from termination under the disability laws?

if you're wondering... yes i am still sober and unemployed. god must be testing me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">