• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

References?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimnyc

What is the name of your state? New York

Are there any laws or guidelines pertaining to what can and cannot be said to a potential employer by a previous employer? A previous employer of mine has been making disparaging comments about me when called, and it has cost me a few jobs already. I don't use him as a reference, but since it is a tight community in the industry I am in they seem to know just who to contact. We had a personal falling out, so obviously all his comments are personal and not job related. Any links to websites or resources on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Beth3

The only laws you will find on this topic are State level "hold harmless" referencing laws which provide protection for employers when giving references, provided the references are given in "good faith." That is, they aren't knowingly telling lies or slandering the individual.

If your former employer is knowingly telling lies about you and you can demonstrate that is the reason you have lost job opportunities, you may have a case. If the "disparaging remarks" means you simply don't agree with their opinion of your performance, you don't.

jimnyc

Thanks Beth

Thats sort of what I figured, unfortunately. The part that sucks is that the remarks being made are not about job performance at all, they are basically personal. I had brought my previous boss to management twice about making racist remarks to me (I'm white, he is black), and ultimately I lost my job over it. Although with over 6 years of employment with the same firm and no blemishes to speak of, they "found" something when I became a complainer I guess. My only hope now is that potential employers will see through his personal vendetta for what it is worth.

Thanks again Beth !

Beth3

You need to line up some professional references other than or in addition to your former boss who can attest to the quality of your work and caliber of your work performance. Other mangers you worked with, colleagues, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">